Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Motorcycle training course

Lynda and I will be starting a training course the last week of April. Lynda already has a little coaching/training from me but that doesn't mean I am a teacher by any stretch of the imagination. Lynda is the newbie and I am a returning rider with 9500 KMs since the summer of 05. Lynda is sure to try to wear out her 250 this coming summer. We plan on learning all we can and practice, practice, practice. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Very good. Thats all you can ever do is practice and practice some more. I have yet to get to that safety course. Its SO full in my area and all i keep getting is alternates ... and the classes rarely have no shows. Motorcycling is getting super popular since gas prices went through the roof.

So for me, i just did alot of reading in forums and websites about the logistics of riding and safety. Even found a forum where atleast 20+ safety course instructors hang out. Sure can learn alot that way. And i know i've become a better rider because of it. I STILL need to get to that course. Hopefully i can get into an opening within 2008 lol.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
BadMojo

Dupo, in my area the course was booked well into '08 what I did was show up and wait to see if there were any "no-shows" and I lucked out on my first try. I was there about 30-45 minutes before the course started and was able to enroll on the spot. Give it a try!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Bill

I took the course during the summer before I bought a motorcyle. Needed to make sure it was something I could be comfortable doing. And guess what most of the bikes were - GZ250. Although they put me on a dirt bike because of my height. The best investment I have made.
It was hot though since I took the class in the middle of July. An advanced class is offered too that I will take as soon as I can arrange my schedule. The plus of that course is that you use your own bike and the class is free.
I can't remember if it was on this forum or not but I read about a couple of highly recommeded books on safety and handling. Anybody have a suggestion?

Cheers!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I can't remember if it was on this forum or not but I read about a couple of highly recommeded books on safety and handling. Anybody have a suggestion?
These books rock. I consider them to be a must read/have.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride

Old 04-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #6

DELETED

Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Just a bit of good news here. Lynda/Happy Hobo passed her final test Friday/28th and is now a fully licensed rider. Her examiner commented that she had very good riding habits and procedures. This reinforces the fact that a professionally trained rider is probably a better rider overall and has less chance of having a real bad day on the street.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Stretch

Congrats to HH!!

I agree with the importance of training. I waited a LONG time to try motorcycling. I saw too many friends hurt on bikes. But I had a wild hair and tried a cycling course down the street from where I worked. They spent three days on just the basics of control -- never got past second gear. They took the position that cycling is a sport, more importantly a dangerous sport, and the skill set should be treated with the care and respect it deserves. Maybe it is just me, but that struck the right cord. I went out picked up a used GZ250 and have been practicing my skills ever since (but I haven't gone to take my on-bike exam yet -- give me a month or so -- I only have 600 miles under my belt so far and I am cautious sort).

And I discovered last week that the bike I was sold was missing the handlebar balancing weights and assembly! Yep, I am a newbie. But I did order them and should be sliding those puppies in next week when they show up.

I appreciate all the great advice I find daily on this forum: newbie or super-hyper-double-secret-member, I always find something I can use or think about.

-Bob
Old 07-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Practice is the key. You want to have reactions and habits automatic. In a bad situation you may not have time to think about the best way out.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Passed the class - yay!

Just had to share my excitement. I went to the class as a walk in last week - got there 45 minutes early only to find out its a lottery, not first come. So like 8 other walk ins showed up and I thought perhaps it wasn't my day. But as luck would have it I got in. (6 people of 12 didn't show!) So after the class and two very sweaty days on the range I passed the test and got my endorsement on my license this week. Of course it also says "MC Novice" on my license... :roll:

Just kinda cool that now I'm official. (Officially what is still up for debate). Still lots of learning to do though.

Oh, and I got to ride a lovely blue GZ250 for the class. (by lovely I mean it had been dropped several times)

Great rider coaches... something I would whole-heartedly recommend to any new (or even not so new) rider.