Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Full Face Helmet

Today I am so glad that I got a full face helmet! Took a little ride about 20 miles or so. Around here (NE Ohio) all the .. well, I call them whirlygigs.. are falling from the trees. Man they make a pop when they hit your helmet. It's great riding through the state park... but if you were bare faced I think it would hurt.

Safe riding!
Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
LilNinja77

Don't worry, you'll thank yourself the first time you take the helmet off and see a splatted wasp or bee........though that doesn't stop them from finding ways in to your jacket......yes it sucks, if you haven't already experienced that lovely bit of fun. My biggest "holy crap I'm glad I'm wearing a full-face" moment..........it's tied:
A---the day a bird hit me in the helmet coming out of a sharp left-hander, or
B---a couple days ago, when it decided to hail while I was out riding. If you've never been hit with hail while travelling down the highway.......umm, yeah, it's not exactly the most gentle sensation in the world, even through a thick leather jacket. The hail decided the best place to hit me was right below the helmet in the neck, what do you know, that's where the bees like to hit too!

Seriously though, if you ever take a slide down the road, THAT is when you'll really be glad you opted to wear a full-face. Virtually all of the crashes I've witnessed had the rider hitting the front of the helmet first, most often right in the chin area..........I dunno about anyone else but to me that doesn't sound like fun in a half-helmet or 3/4.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Littlethumper

Thanks for the info about helmet guys....I was even thinking about getting a 3/4 helmet
and now i changed my mind!
Lucky i came to this forum page!

Drive safe.......

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
LilNinja77

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say "no one should ever wear a half-helmet"..........riding is all about risk-acceptance. What some people do everyday while riding I wouldn't ever do (like riding without full gear, including riding with anything less than a full face helmet on my noggin)......but at the same time some of the things I do would scare the pants off some people (like tearing around on the backroads at triple the posted speed limit in sharp turns). I happen to know these roads very well and know when traffic comes through them, but still it's a big risk and it's one I think about a lot whenever I decide to enjoy those particular roads. It should be said though, I don't ever ride at anything above 6 or 7/10ths of my ability, and even then that's too much to be doing on the street......I really need to get out to VIR for a trackday to get this crap out of my system. I've begun to limit myself on how many times a month I can go out and hit the backroad twisties, trying to break myself of the habit. Everything with riding is a matter of each individual deciding what is or isn't an acceptable level of risk for them. Hell, riding a motorcycle in the first place is a HUGE risk that many people aren't comfortable taking, while others (like us) are completely fine dodging inattentive drivers who try their damn'dest to run us over. To each his (or her) own I suppose, honestly after bicycling in traffic things seem pretty calm while on the motorcycle.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlethumper
Thanks for the info about helmet guys....I was even thinking about getting a 3/4 helmet
and now i changed my mind!
Lucky i came to this forum page!
I actually bought a 3/4 helmet, took it home, then changed my mind. Went back and got a HJC full face helmet, and I've been pretty happy with it. Today was in the mid 70s, and I was completely comfortable. We'll see when it gets warmer, but with the vents there is pretty good airflow.

And besides, as someone who is still learning on the bike I figure it doesn't hurt to minimize the risk - especially now. For everyone else who has whatever coverage helmet, it's all up to what you're comfortable with.

D

Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Badbob

There is a report somewhere on the internet that has a chart showing a riders head and marking areas where injuries occur by percentage. Most of them are in the face. Right in the area where you would be unprotected in a 3/4 helmet.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Tonckawa

I have been wondering what everyone's opinion on helmets. I have a half shell. I do use an approved set of safety glasses. Yes, bugs hurt, so does rocks, bits of dirt and the occasional piece of rubber coming off the tire in front of you. Just yesterday, I was SAFELY following a car and the jerk turned on his windsield wiper fluid at 40 mph. I got a face full of it and he knew cause I saw him laughing afterwards. I admit, I have done the windshield wiper fluid myself but I did it to other cars who were taligating me. I was NOT tailgating, the guy was just being a jerk. I did not wipe it off and acted like nothing happened at all just to not give the guy the satisfaction that hit hit me with the water.

My only thought was "what comes around goes around".

Anyhow, I am thinking about a 3/4 helmet with face shield now. Don't think I will go full face though. I'll take my chances.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonckawa
I have been wondering what everyone's opinion on helmets.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind on that so............
Let me just say: Windshields are your friend. Even a (relatively) small one is better than nothing.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

As my disclaimer, everyone is free to make their own decision on which helmet to ride with.

My personal opinion, however, is to never wear anything less than a full face helmet. Even those cheap knock-off flip-up helmets don't cut it in my world.

All it takes is a little searching on the net for pictures of motorcycle crash victims who were wearing only t-shirts and skull helmets to convince you of their inability to protect anything.

It's hard to ride a motorcycle without skin or a face.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Tonckawa

I have made up my mind on a windshield. Just waiting on a response from the dealer selling it to make sure it will fit my bike.