Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
music man

Re: working on my Bobber project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Okay, I really like the exhaust in those last pictures. Looks very industrial.

Very nice job.

I was thinking the same thing about the whole bike, I dig it. And it looks like it is completely ready for the set of a Mad Max movie, which in this case is a good thing. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
seventigers

Thanks guys!

That first exhaust I tried was nothing more than the telescoping pickup tube from a 55 gallon drum pump (i get these at work for free) like this: http://www.lyndist.com/drum_pumps/381.jpg

It worked ok (I rode 60 miles with it) - but I didn't get the lower telescoping part to quit rattling before I found the 'machine gun' tube and decided to go that route.

The seat construction was real easy with nothing more than hot glue, staples, 2 layers of cardboard, duct tape, white beaded insulation foam & 18" x 24" piece of black vinyl from fabric store. I also put in a support beam from an aluminum 'L' piece I had left from fabricating the tail light support pieces. The aluminum support beam is duct taped to the seat itself and uses 2 factory screw holes for easy mounting to the bike frame. It's more comfy than it looks...

Fun fun fun! Been riding it a bit too - seat is comfy enough so far, stiff but not unbearable at all :2tup:

gotta go ride some more !! :rawk:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
kedebrav00

Hey i'm looking to do the exact same thing to my GZ250 can you contact me. I saw your youtube post but there aren't to many details.
send me your information on how to contact you if possible. I'm looking to see what kind of handle bars fit the GZ250, the new horn, if you were able to get a new fender. I was thinking about contacting bluecollar bobber and getting a kit but they only have kits for the suzuki S40.

This is the weblink for bluecollar
http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/index. ... &Itemid=24

Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

This board has a PM capability, just send him a PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
birdmove

Did you have to replace the cables and front brake line to use the flat drag bars?
Very nice job!
Thanks, Jon

Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
seventigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedebrav00
I'm looking to see what kind of handle bars fit the GZ250, the new horn, if you were able to get a new fender.
I like BlueCollars stuff - pretty pricy too. And a limited number of bikes they sell kits for. but you can do-it-yourself for a lot mods and that's (for me) part of the bobber fun.

HOW TO DO EASY DRAG BARS ON YOUR GZ 250:

1) remove the handle bars from your cheap Mongoose mountain bicycle you got at Walmart. (they are 7/8" diameter - perfect fit) If you don't have one of those - go to the local bike store and get some bars from their used stock parts bin. My local bike store had probably 15 different styles of used handlebars in stock. Since i took the bars off my bicycle, i had to buy replacement bars and they were only 8 bucks!

2) get slightly longer bolts for your stock GZ250 bar mounts (at ACE hardware, i think they are 5mm x 1.5 inches long)

3) Once you've got the new bars mounted, then re-mount the clutch & brake handles and grips on the mountain bike handle bars. It's a tight fit - you gotta move & rotate things around until it fits. You'll have to remove the turn signal wire plug (which you don't need anymore anyway), and the brake light wire plug will need to be altered because it's such a tight fit on the new 'drag bars'...
-- you do NOT need to replace or modify ANY cables for this - took a couple hours at most.

4) That's about it. The bar is so short it doesn't even extend all the way through the grips - but it's solid and safe and i've ridden it 200 miles like this. I really like riding position and it's a lot of fun to tuck down on this and rip along at 60 mpg...anyway - it feels like you're going fast...

HOPE that answers your questions!

see ya,
Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #17
2wheelerwill

Did you have any problems with the clutch cable or the throttle cable binding a bit? I also had to change the position of the hydraulic line for my brakes to make clearance.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #18
Waltz

I know this is a really old thread but i just watched your video on youtube lol and i recognized you you should've made a vid on how you made that machine gun exhaust!!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #19
Sarris

seventigers;

I really don't think bicycle handlebars should be used on a motorcycle as they are not strong enough. They tube wall is not thick enough and are not the proper grade (read strong enough) steel. This is not the place to save money.

Also, WTF are you going to do when your grips (that don't go all the way on) slide off into your hand in a turn? There is a reason that motorcycle & bicycle parts are sold in different places for different prices.

You are sacrificing safety for dollars. It's your ass, you can do with it what you'd like, but I don't condone or recommend your "budget" mods.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
dannylightning

i totally agree with sarris, no a good idea at all