Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Kcarvajal

My GZ Bobber - HARDTAILED!!!

Guys,

Updated pictures of my bike, hard-tailed using the Factory Metal Works Triumph universal kit.

First of all, thanks to Jonathan for the help with re-jetting the carb and the ideas of how to tone down the exhaust. Also to Kflint for the courage to tackle rejetting the carb.

As for the bike, I initially took it to a local fabricator. The end result however, wasn't to my liking. He offered to re-do it, but I'm not certain he can pull it off based on the end-result. So I tackled it myself, using the swingarm as a guide/jig. I wanted a 6" stretch, I got almost 7" from the fabricator. It worked to my advantage since I had to undo his work, and lost a couple inches along the way. It worked perfectly because the axle plates had a couple inches there also.

The universal kit matched since the GZ has a small frame. I originally ordered 34" top tubes thinking it needs to be mounted to the stem of the frame. The fabricator instead, attached it to the two top tubes from the original frame and used a slug to connect the new top tube to the frame. It works, but I didn't have to special order the extra length, I suppose. I took pics of the build process and will document it for those of you who are interested.

The front end is from a Savage. I originally used just the front wheel, but liked the forks since it's cleaner and longer by 2". I changed the rear wheel also with an 18" Kawasaki 650 (can't recall the model). Had to get a new chain for the length and the sprocket size.

I also re-wired it so the two rear tail/brake function as turn signals. I had to purchase a trailer light module, ($14 from AutoZone) to make it work. Quite simple actually. I used the original two front turn signals with dual filament sockets.

I also built a license plate mount as can be seen in one of the pics below.

The seat.. I removed the original cover and used an old leather jacket. I took pics of this process also and will compile them all.

It's still a work in progress. For instance, the exhaust, I would like to run down towards the bottom of the bike, instead of going straight back. I had to put it together so it's in riding condition to join my brother in law on a ride to a vintage british bike shop. With this setup, we were on the road for about 6 hours total.

Electronics are hidden in the fake oil tank (flour/Sugar container) and an ammo box.

Light indicators (Neutral/Turn) are installed on the top headlight since I lost the mounts from the original GZ Trees. It works well.

OK, back to work. More details later.

Thanks!
Ken

Previous Post:
Hi All, new here and new to riding. Just finished my MSF course yesterday as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I'm from Chicago and was recently given an approval to get a bike with a set budget. My research lead me to the GZ250, and found this site.

I lurked for a bit and knowing that I like a set style/look, I took some of the advice and procedures that others have done to customize their bikes.

That being said, below is my 2007 GZ250. I purchased this from Craigslist at a price that I couldn't refuse. Knowing the potential based on what I've seen here, I started ordering parts before even picking up the bike. A week later, this is how it looks and I can't be any more proud.

FYI, The exhaust came with the bike. I wasn't too crazy about it at first with the original stock parts, but with the exhaust you see here. However, knowing that I will be converting it into a bobber, I figured I'll see how it looks after. I'm pleased, and the sound is great!

Parts: New Handle Bar, rigid struts, new side mirrors (actually even lower since I used the parts from the original mirrors. I can see wider now.), solo seat, rear fender was the front fender that I cut and mounted using L brackets from Home Depot, License Plate and tail/break light is mounted on the opposite side, turn signals front and back.

Anyway, this is the pic of my bike.

EDITED: Updated picture, with sporty tank, new side mirrors, and 19" Savage front wheel. Axle fits perfect, offset is also close to perfect with the caliper. Only issue is the speedo, but I have ideas of how to make it work.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
blaine

Re: My Bobber

Welcome to the forum.Your bike looks good.Nice clean job.
:cool:

Old 05-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome newbie. Glad to have you join us. I am not a bobber fan but there is something about your bike that really tickles my fancy. Well done.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
mole2

Welcome aboard from South Carolina. I usually don't like bobbers but this one looks good. Ride safe.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
alantf

Just noticed........ There appears to be only one exhaust pipe. How does this work, when there are two outlets from the engine? :??:

Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just noticed........ There appears to be only one exhaust pipe. How does this work, when there are two outlets from the engine? :??:
I'm betting he's got duel exhaust.We just can't see the pipe on the other side of the bike.You can just see the curve of the other header pipe.
:??:

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Kcarvajal

Thanks all! Glad to be here.

Blaine is correct, the exhaust you see in the pic is mirrored on the opposite side.

BTW, I'm planning on taking my skills test tomorrow to get the M on my drivers license. I struggled with the sharp left U turns while taking the MSF course but practiced quite a bit yesterday on my own bike on an empty lot. I was using two parking spaces as markers and was able to get it 80% of the time (I think). I believe the U turn test is within a 20' distance. Parking spaces average 8' (as I was told) so I'm feeling better with this portion.

My concern is more with the stop and quick 90 degree right turn. I couldn't get it down for the life of me during the class. I intend to practice the U turns and cone weaving (12' distance x 2' off-set) and accepting that I will not make this 90 degree turn.

I wanted to run it by you guys if you have any tips on any of the maneuvers, and how to calm the nerves prior to the test.

Thanks all!
Ken
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Tighter turns and parking lot stuff is a lot easier if you look where you want to go. A bad habit I fight is looking down a bit too much just in front of the wheel. Turn your head and look where you want to go.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Kcarvajal

I agree, I tend to do the same thing. However, for me at this stage anyway, it's a lot easier than it sounds. Along with just turning your head, it seems I need to also have good control with the throttle so I don't stall in the middle of a turn, which happened twice and dropped the bike both times. Luckily I was able to catch it but got one minor scratch on my tank.

Is this the wrong approach or is it you set a good speed and just cruise through the turn sorta thing?

Anyway, I'll practice again later if it doesn't rain and will update you guys tomorrow afternoon, hopefully as a licensed motorcyclist.

Ken
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Very slow manuevering can be easy with practice. You need to learn throttle control, clutch control and the use of the rear brake. Slipping the clutch at an increased RPM(not a whole bunch) and just dragging the rear brake will keep the bike steadier and more planted. This will help govern your speed while you look ahead to where you want to go. "Keep Your Head Up." Put some thought into it before trying it. It does work and works well. The clutch is oil cooled and will take some abuse without damage, just don't rev the engine to an overly high RPM. You can do it and the parking lot scene will become easier and easier with time.
Practice just going in a straight line as slow as possible with using the rear brake, clutch and throttle. When the confidence level is good add some turns and U turns. Word of warning: do not apply the front brake when in a slow turn or U turn as that will dump you promptly. Don't ask me how I know. :whistle:

Just remembered. Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. The bible of motorcycling will teach you things of extreme value when it come to riding on 2 wheels.