Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
geezer

Re: GZ250 "Street Fighter" - Work in Progress

for right hand turns you use your left hand to signal u just make a 90 degree with your left arm and there you go. but problem is alot of idiots dont understand signals. i have been inches from being hit because ofthis. i use my bikes signal hand signal and point wildly at the direction im going

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yes. But AlanTF is not living in the US. Driving on the opposite side of the road, they would use their right hand to signal turns.
And I'm sure that for that reason alone, Alan, you guys had the little throttle stop design that you mentioned.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
alantf

Signals on a bike were always, stick out right arm for a right turn, & stick out left arm for a left turn.

Cars were slightly different. Stick out right arm for a right turn, stick out right arm & make a circular motion for a left turn.

Don't you use your right arm for any signals in America?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Nope.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
MadCityRider

This is exactly what I do. It's still interesting though at low speed, because of the need to operate the clutch. I accepted that riding around town on a bobber style bike, I'd be ok with hand signals only, but at stop lights trying to hold the clutch and make sure I'm telling people which way I'm going "forced my hand" in getting the bar-end turn signals.

I'm kind of lucky, because the town I live in is both bike and motorcycle friendly, so people here are pretty good at giving space to bikes.

- MCR

Old 06-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRider
This is exactly what I do. It's still interesting though at low speed, because of the need to operate the clutch. I accepted that riding around town on a bobber style bike, I'd be ok with hand signals only, but at stop lights trying to hold the clutch and make sure I'm telling people which way I'm going "forced my hand" in getting the bar-end turn signals.

I'm kind of lucky, because the town I live in is both bike and motorcycle friendly, so people here are pretty good at giving space to bikes.
Yeah. Madison is well-known for being commuter friendly. I had a blogger that I used to follow who lived up there. "Rural Roads with Roger", I think it was called... he chronicled his experience after buying an electric bicycle. My style old man

Anyway. I digress.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
tcrave

This is the turn signal and horn I use:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
tcrave

Just kidding, of course. What kind of mpg do you get? Why did you chop the rear fender instead of just taking it off? sorry if its a dumb question.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 AM   #19
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Don't you use your right arm for any signals in America?
Seeing as how we sit on the left side of the car (or as we call it, the "driver's" side), and the window is on the left, and your left arm is not (necessarily) steering or shifting, our hand signals all evolved from the left arm. However, as someone noted above, over the years since the development of the automobile, knowledge of hand signals has not persisted across the generations. I do recall them being on my first New Jersey written driver test (in 1976) but I don't recall them being on CA written when I had to re-take in '08.

Most people get the left turn signal, but they think the right turn signal is you saying "Hi" and they don't even know there's a "stop" signal (left hand down at 90 deg palm facing backwards.)

On a bicycle you signal with the left hand, but you don't trust. You don't trust anything on a bicycle if you want to live.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #20
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran

Seeing as how we sit on the left side of the car (or as we call it, the "driver's" side), and the window is on the left, and your left arm is not (necessarily) steering or shifting, our hand signals all evolved from the left arm. and they don't even know there's a "stop" signal (left hand down at 90 deg palm facing backwards.)
English hand signals in England are obviously evolved from the right hand, however, a car signal for a left turn is right arm extended while making a circular motion, but on a bike it's left hand extended, and to a policeman on traffic duty it's the right hand across the windscreen, pointing left

As for stopping signals, it's right arm extended & moving it up & down, while in Australia it's right arm held up at 90º

Confusing, eh?