Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
isaac

My GZ250 mod project

This was my first bike, bought when my brother and I went in together on one because our dad had told us our whole lives that we could never have a motorcycle. So we bought it and hid it while we were in college so he wouldn't see it when he visited. Eventually he was forced to accept it.

I've had it probably 9-10 years now and despite all the other bikes I've owned I've never sold it. I decided it was time to make some changes. I've done this to the bike before because it's a great platform to mess around with. Type GZ250 cafe into google and the first two photos that show up are my bike in various stages of mockups (at one point I had a full Honda CBR954 monoshock conversion on the back with custom welded subframe, not pictured) that I either reversed later or added to. Either way, everything has happened to the same bike.

Anyway I decided to do this to it:

So I did that. I like it a lot. I'll be ditching the mirror for a bar end piece. Visually it's got a drag handlebar I cut and welded to my liking, including grinding cutouts so the forks could be raised into the triples to lower the front end 2". It's blacked out on the triples, bar, bar clamps, speedo housing, headlight housing, wheels and rear brake. Obviously both fenders are gone, though I'll probably replace them with tiny pieces for functionality (especially fork bracing). Removed all lighting except headlight and a single brake/running light on the left chainguard. Will likely add back in minimalist front turn signals, which I've already bought. Cut off rear of subframe beyond boltholes for rear fender so that I can attach a custom pillion seat. Hid all electrics on a tray under the swingarm. Cut and welded a custom battery holder that bolts to the front of the triangle behind the engine. Hid certain unsightly welds with whatever that goldish colored header wrap is. It's gradually darkening, which is fine by me. The bike as you see it runs and rides.

Mechanically It's jetted to a 138 main, raised needle, emgo pod air filter, exhaust drilled 1/2" in two spots on the inner ring of the end cap.
:hide:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
rik05171981

Re: My GZ250 mod project

That looks nice man about what I plan to doing to my bike!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Looks like a fun bike to ride in sunshine. It must be noticeably peppier with less weight and the fenders no longer catching air.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
blaine

Looks good.I'll bet a real blast to ride>

Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That's really rad looking, man.

I'm a fan of at least a partial rear fender. One wet ride and you'll see why.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
isaac

Made a baffled pipe out of some straight exhaust tubing, some adapters, copper pipe, steel sink crumb cups, steel wool, and a lot of welding. It's fairly loud now. We'll see if I can withstand it over time. Also added a bar end mirror while I was at it.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
northsidegz

Looks nice!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Rookie Rider

Very nice work.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
isaac

Thanks guys! I've uploaded a short video of it running so you get an idea of how it sounds. Hopefully I'll get a video of it on the roll soon so you can hear how good is sounds at full throttle. At WOT it has just the right thrum between the open intake pulses and the exhaust pulses where it sounds like a totally different engine.

Here's the video:
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
isaac

Added a video with much longer runtime so you can really hear it. Also painted the chain guard black.