Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Rookie Rider

Re: My GZ250 mod project

I always wear earplugs, even before i cut the muffler off my gz. I recently made a homemade baffle because long trips were brutal on my right ear. I was literally deaf for 2 days in my right ear more then once. Bike looks great tho.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I always wear earplugs, even before i cut the muffler off my gz. I recently made a homemade baffle because long trips were brutal on my right ear. I was literally deaf for 2 days in my right ear more then once. Bike looks great tho.
Aw, c'mon guys. Why do you think that the noisier the bike, the cooler it sounds. That just annoys the hell out of ordinary folk, and gives bikers a bad name. I'm proud to say that I've had several compliments from my neighbours, about how quiet my bike is. I know I'm an old guy, but I've no idea why todays youngsters think that they need their bikes, music, etc so loud that they're forcing their taste on everyone else.

Rant over - but I needed to get that off my chest. :2tup:

The reason that I feel so strongly about this is that I'm partially deaf. There are certain frequencies that I can't hear. I have to wear hearing aids. Thing is, when I went for my first hearing test, the doctor said that, because of my hearing pattern, he thought that it was industrial deafness. Fifty years ago, when I started working, nobody thought about health & safety, nobody wore ear protectors, so we just accepted the noise levels. Even in the Air Force we weren't issued with ear protectors on the firing range. Then you calmly accept that the bike noise made you deaf for a couple of days. The only thing that exessive noise does is line the pockets of the hearing aid manufacturers. I just wish that I knew fifty years ago what I know now. I don't suppose for a moment that I've changed the minds of "the noisier the better" crowd, but From my own experience, I know which road I'd go down.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

I have to agree with Alantf when it comes to noise levels whether they are bikes or industrial in nature. Excessive noise is destructive to each of us no matter what the source. I didn't always believe in quiet pipes on my cages but they were more of an annoyance as time went by. One loud bike was enough too.
Having permanent hearing loss from industrial sites is also part of my life. I won't go into loud music for fear of sounding like a complete idiot with the added hearing loss I created.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Rookie Rider

I liked the sound at first but not so much anymore. Its a high pitch kinda sound. Got very annoying, and people did turn to me when riding down the block with a "WTF" face on, lol.