Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: First time bobber project

You can use this stuff that I like called QuickSteel. It's a putty that becomes semi permanent.

Better than that, though, would be to get an exhaust reducer and just use some lawnmower exhaust gasket material (Ace of any local lawnmower shop should carry it. It comes in varying thicknesses). Clamp the properly sized reducer onto your factory header and then attach the other end to your slip on. That'll work and you won't have to find a specially sized exhaust coupler gasket.

They look like this:

EDIT: I would not completely remove the rear fender bars. If that's the look you are going for, and you know what you are doing, that's one thing. But retaining those and just reducing the profile of the rear fender itself will still give you look that you want plus some protection from the elements. Until you have never ridden on wet pavement without a rear fender, you won't fully appreciate why I am saying this. (rooster tail)
Not only that, you're resale value will stay higher if you don't mess with the frame.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
Goose51683

Thats true Jonathan but I am wanting to also add a larger rear wheel. I started riding in early March and took the fender off shortly afterwards so I'm used to the rooster tail at this point.

Thanks for the exhaust advice. Unfortunately, I live in a small rural town with only a small hardware store so until I make a trip I will have to see what I can find.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Do you have an auto parts store or even a local muffler shop? They should be able to fab you something for cheap.

If I only had raw materials, I would get come galvanized tubing, slit it down one side and create a cone of proper diameters on each end and then weld it in place. Add some high heat, anti-rust paint to both inside and out and live with it until you get something better in the future.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #24
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose51683
Thanks Alantf. Any idea what that would be called or should I just look for exhaust putty.
I'm afraid that I'm not in America, so I don't know what it's sold as there, but I think that if you ask for "exhaust repair putty" they'll know what you mean.....Especially if it's an old guy in the store :whistle: Us old guys used to have to do lots of repairs when cars were "rot boxes"
Old 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
Goose51683

Well I think I will be fab'in up my own exhaust here before to long. Everything out there is just to "normal" for my taste. I will look for that putty to make it thru until I get something made.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Goose51683

Just went to a 130 jet last night. Bike is running well but I need to run through a couple more jets to see what works best. Gotta take it one day at a time since I'm a little shy on time. As soon as I get that right feel I'll tune the rest of the carb.

I have exhaust wrap in the mail and a gearbox breather to install as well. Check back soon for some new pics.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Just remember, main jet affects top end more than anything. Give it full thottle and see how she responds. If she feels set in, then you're good.

Most people throw in a 140 main and call it a day. You can test that next if you aren't satisfied with the 130, but I prefer the "dialed in" method that you're using.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
Goose51683

Since this is my first bike are there any other indications of to much gas/too much air. I will be trying a bigger jet tonight though. I haven't felt any kind of improvement with the 130.

I have an open air filter, a new exhaust and will have the headers wrapped as well (I hear that can increase airflow as well).
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

So you've already opened the air filter and you have a custom exhaust? I would start at 135-140. To my knowledge, no one has used anything larger than a 145.

What you'll feel with a lean mixture is basically a flat or dead spot in acceleration or the bike simply won't pull anymore. I would use 3rd gear and just open her up and see how she responds. If she kind of dies when you gun it, then you need to move up. If she pulls steady, then you're good. If she starts to pull and then bogs down, then you're too rich and you need to back off.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose51683
... a new exhaust and will have the headers wrapped as well (I hear that can increase airflow as well).
Wrapping the headers does nothing but promote rust, really. The idea is to help with cooling, and that's true of the super production bikes, but it won't make a lick of difference for the GZ. The wrap will trap moisture and your head pipes will rust faster than normal. If you're doing it for aesthetic reasons, that's all good. But it's not going to change air flow. If you go with a completely open exhaust (ie, no baffles) then you'll want to go ahead and drop in that 140 most likely.

It's ok to be a little rich (more fuel) as this will keep temps down.
It' not really ok to be too lean (more air). A very lean setting will fry your valves and just generate more heat than you want in general.