Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
greatmaul

throttle controller for hand numbness

I ordered up a "Go Cruise" throttle controller for the new bike. http://www.aerostich.com/go-cruisetm-th ... rol-1.html

I get carpal-like pain, tingling and complete numbness in my right hand after about a half hour or so, and my current solution is to just pull in the clutch and coast on the freeway while I rest and stretch my throttle hand a little. I ride freeways about 3 1/2 hours round trip when I commute, and of course would never use it anywhere else.

It also wants to go too fast all the time, and I don't want to spend that much on gas. I try to keep it at 60, but when I look down, I'm going 80.

Hopefully this little thing will work. It's a lever that you rotate to rest against the brake handle to keep the throttle at one position. Much smaller than a "crampbuster," but at the same time, it doesn't "lock" the throttle and need so much effort to be disengaged.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: throttle controller for hand numbness

How hard are the grips on your bike? A softer grip or foam covers like Grip Puppies might do you a lot of good. My Vstrom has Grip Puppies over the stock grips and I have a Throttle Rocker on both left and right sides of the bars. I don't need quite the death grip on the bars and my hands feel much better after a ride. Your bike is also a V-twin so you have that typical V-twin vib to live with. Sometimes it is not bad and other times it is pain waiting to happen. It all depends on the degree of the V design and whether there is a counter balancer in the engine.
Oh yeah, something just clicked. I used to get tired hands, just plain tired. My glove were just a tad too tight and the fingers were just a smidget short. I was always working to keep a firm grip. Gave them away and started wearing my Red Wing guantlets fulltime. They are just a wee bit larger with a thinsulate lining. Riding seems to be a fulltime exercise to find comfort now and again. Keep searching for the answer.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
How hard are the grips on your bike? ...
Oh, wow, those are all great points. Now that you mention it, the grip on the new bike is quite skinny compared to the GZ, and very hard. And, on top of that, only one of my pairs of gloves fit well, the others are all tight in various places, so I should probably just use the one.

I'm going to look for some grip puppies, to make the grips larger and softer. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Your VX 800 has 1 inch bars so you will need the large size grip puppies. Slide em on and feel an instant difference. Be forewarned, you will have to get used to them. The grips feel monsterous the first few rides. Reaching for the levers is different till you get comfy.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Your VX 800 has 1 inch bars so you will need the large size grip puppies. Slide em on and feel an instant difference. Be forewarned, you will have to get used to them. The grips feel monsterous the first few rides. Reaching for the levers is different till you get comfy.
Whew, you had me worried for a bit because I already ordered the small size grip puppies. I was wondering how that could be since I already installed a windshield with 7/8" mounting hardware. Actually, though the VX has 7/8" bars, even though I did notice that for the volusia/boulevard/intruder series most of them have the 1" bars.

Can't wait for them to arrive, looks like a top notch product!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I stand corrected. So much for the site where I got my info. With the puppies your hands won't be nearly as curled around the smaller bars. That in itself will make a difference.