Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
ecr959

Can you identify this bike ?

I was browsing a w2ebsite article about mufflers, and this image was on that page, but not related to the story. It looks different (strange ?) to me. The name of the image when copied is "yamaha MT01" Can anybody tell me more ? Not that I like it, but it sure looks curious.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Can you identify this bike ?

The MT-01 is a motorcycle made by Yamaha since 2005, available in Australia, Europe, India, Japan and North America. It has unusual features with a cruiser-style 1,670 cc (102 cu in) air-cooled, overhead valve V-twin engine with sportbike or naked bike style frame and suspension. The engine is derived from the Yamaha Warrior XV1700 and modified to suit application in the MT-01, while the forks and brakes are derived from the 2004 to 2005 Yamaha R1.[1]

Originally unveiled as a concept motorcycle at the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show, strong public interest in the machine led Yamaha to develop a production model, which was released in 2005.[2][3] The Motorcycle Design Association (MDA) awarded the MT-01 the Open Category award at the 2004 annual Motorcycle Design Awards at INTERMOT.[4] Since its release, the MT-01 has remained largely unchanged.
:cool:

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Re: Can you identify this bike ?

Oh yeah, I test rode one for fun. The dealer also knew I wouldn't be in the market for it no matter what. Awesome brute force in the engine bay. Lots of torque and you never get rid of the vibes from the power impulses. Smoothest RPM was 2000. The bike did seem to handle well although I didn't try anything overly fast. Fairly easy to ride, just pick a gear and let the clutch out. It would probably idle away in 3rd gear but I didn't try it. The dealer had it on the floor for 3 or 4 years before he put it on CL and oddly enough I met the guy who bought it. He liked it and got it for a decent price as a demo bike.
Exhuast system is a hot item routed under the seat. They put in a fan to cool things a bit so the rider doesn't cook his/her important body parts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads