Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Fawlty

Back in Time

Took a 50 mile ride this morning through the mountains, with a few twisties and narrow roads. Very enjoyable it was too, We had the first real rains yesterday since about June time, not really heavy, but steady and continual.

This morning was great, fresh and clear. It was a joy to be riding. I stopped after about 20 miles to take a few photos:

Twenty minutes later I stopped in a mountain village. There was only one bar and I called in for a coffee. As I pulled up outside the bar there was on old man sitting at one of the tables. I went to get my drink and then came back outside and sat with the old man. He told me that he was the bar owner and that he had owned the bar for 50 years. I said that he must have seen some changes during that time. He said that electricity and running water only arrived at the village in 1971. Prior to that they villagers had to rely on a well and use candles and oil lamps for lighting. There was no street lighting. Nobody in the village owned a car and there was no bus. He used to go the market for supplies, using a donkey and cart, which took 4 hours each way. Life was very hard.

We talked for about 20 minutes and he shook my hand as I was leaving and wished me a safe journey.

These days most of us have a lot to be thankful for in terms of creature comforts, and maybe it's because I'm now on the wrong side of 60, but 1971 doesn't seem that long ago to me.

A great ride and thought provoking one too!

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Back in Time

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a beautiful day for a ride.

The wrong side of 60 isn't bad considering the alternative.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
alantf

I know just what you mean, fawlty. Yesterday we went to a friend's finca for lunch. It's like stepping back in time. Then we went to look at an old house that another friend had restored, to what it was like, over 100 years ago. Modern conveniences like fridge, freezer, cooker, but camouflaged behind authentic looking cupboards.

BTW, for non Spanish speakers, a finca is a small farm, for growing crops. As we walked up to it, we were picking the plums and oranges, straight from the trees, to eat as we walked.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
As we walked up to it, we were picking the plums and oranges, straight from the trees, to eat as we walked.
We are lucky in that respect too. Plenty of lemons, figs, artichokes, melons etc. Our next door neighbour is an elderly Spanish lady who frequently gives us bags of red peppers and other goodies (her two sons are local farmers).

Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
alantf

Over here it's mainly grapes, bananas, avocados, potatoes, that we're given.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Over here it's mainly grapes, bananas, avocados, potatoes, that we're given.

I always find it strange that over here on the mainland bananas from the Canaries are always more expensive than those imported from South America.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
alantf

Strange, that. I live among the banana plantations, and there are so many bananas that if we need to buy them, they're so cheap. Also, we get them green, then let them ripen on the banana tree (a gadget for holding bunches of bananas) in the kitchen. But, mainly, they're so plentiful that our friends with banana plantations just give them to us.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Fawlty

They are my favourite fruit. I mentioned earlier about being the wrong side of 60, it must be the slippery slope, talking about the price of bananas!!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
alantf

Side by side with the banana plantations, are the vineyards. The grapes are just about ready for harvesting, so very shortly, we'll be given a few bottles of the new wine. :2tup:
Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Fawlty

That's one thing I haven't seen on the mainland, wine from the Canaries, another curious thing.