Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-08-2020, 01:53 AM   #1
rdots

Wont start but all lights come on

Hi y'all. First time posting! I just bought an 07 GZ250 for $600 with the hopes of getting it back on the road, but I suspect it has some wiring issues. Here is what I know so far (just picked it up today)

When I turn on the key with the bike in neutral, I dont have a neutral light, but my headlights AND turn signals are on. Turn signals work and rear brake works, although the lamp on the dash does not light up with the signals.

When I push the start button absolutely nothing happens. It doesn't crank, nothing. I also noticed the front brake switch is not engaging the brake light. I checked the fuses and charged the battery. I noticed a cut wire near the kickstand with a wire nut on the end. It is fairly thin with two wires inside that I assumed was some bypass for the kickstand switch. Perhaps this has something to do with it? I have some experience wrenching, but I haven't tackled much electrical so this is new for me!

I plan to go through with a multi meter and cleaning up some connections, and I am digesting the wiring diagram slowly, but thought I would start here in case someone else has the same issue. PO told me he could get it to start by jumping it, but by bypassing the switches somehow, I think he said he bridged the starter relay??

Do the GZ's turn signals stay on continuously like that or is there a fault in the wiring? I appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
alantf

I believe that on an american bike the front turn signals stay on as running lights. (mine was European,with no running lights) Let us know what you find, after you've checked all the wiring.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum rdots. I am not too hot on wiring myself but the disconnected wires at the kickstand might be your problem. The switch in the kickstand is a kill switch so that the bike will shut off if the kickstand is down when in gear. Also check to make sure you really do have the bike in neutral. Otherwise, it won't start either unless you have the clutch pulled. Finally, the front turn signals are also your running lights, so it is normal for them to be on when the key is on. The rear ones are just turn signals.

If your neutral light and turn signal lights are not working, the PO may have burned out the bulbs with his creative wiring and can be replaced. As I stated above, double check to make sure the bike is in neutral. I would also suggest you open the headlight bucket and do a visual check of the wiring in there, as there is a multitude of connections in there and places where the wiring can get cut or worn coming into it.

I hope this helps a little. When you get it running, ride safe.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
rdots

Thank you for the reply! I will check everything over really good and let you know what I find!
Old 09-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
rdots

Got it started!

Hey guys, I got it started! however, it only starts when choked and dies immediately. Looks like I will be changing fluids and breaking into the carburetor next!

I dont know what I did to get the switch to work. I opened the switch and moved them around a little, and I pulled the fuse and replaced it under the seat, I think it is the side stand relay? But anyway, She fired up so on to the next step!

Tags
problems, starting issues, turn signals, wiring