Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #31
turbo chicken

last night i used kerosene and an old tooth brush to clean and 80W90 Gear oil to lube... i also tightened the chain to specs ...

I just couldn't get it 100% clean on the bike... and yes i was being lazy i didn't feel like taking off the back tire cause i'll be doing it in a few day's anyways with the new tires.

I don't remember if it was mentioned... but it probably takes less time to remove the chain clean thoroghly then put back on the bike and lube than what i did last night... not only that... but probably less messy...

At the cycle gear shop the guy mentioned some spray can cleaner that works really well that they use them selves in the shop... anyone use these "spraycan cleaners"?... the guy in the shop swore by it.... i still don't think anything beats good ole elbow grease and your cleaning utensil of choice...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #32
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo chicken
I just couldn't get it 100% clean on the bike...
There is really no need to get it "100% clean".
It is, after all, an exposed drive chain on a motorcycle!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #33
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
There is really no need to get it "100% clean".
I don't think so. I just rub mine down with a piece of towel and spray some more Dupont Teflon on it. It will have dirt on it by the time I get to work.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

How about a totally enclosed chain running in an oil bath ?? Sounds ideal until you have to adjust the chain. That could be a major undertaking. A lot of long distance rider use a chain oiler with great success. I was going to try to make one but I haven't the patience for stuff like that anymore.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #35
rayzuki

I just cleaned and lubed my chain. I used gear oil. Long story short I won't use it again. It has made a huge mess. I have oil everywhere. I put a drop on each link, let it sit for 2 days then wiped everything off with a rag. Went for a ride and now oil is everywhere.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #36
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Chain lube/wax works much better and there is less mess.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #37
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
I put a drop on each link, let it sit for 2 days then wiped everything off with a rag. Went for a ride and now oil is everywhere.
:oops: Well, yes, any liquid lube is gonna do that some. And when one puts on WAY too much, it make a big mess.! :roll:

You only need to put oil on 10-15 links TOTAL and the sprockets will distribute it for you. It is, after all, really the sprockets that you are lubing.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #38
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
You only need to put oil on 10-15 links TOTAL and the sprockets will distribute it for you. It is, after all, really the sprockets that you are lubing.
You mean, the O-rings don't need lubrication, only the sprockets where they touch the chain rollers ?

I just gave the chain a good cleaning at 1800 miles, cleaned it three times with kerosene, and the third time the kerosene dripping off was more or less clean. And now it's drying overnight. Tomorrow I'll oil the chain again. The last time I put way too much oil on obviously, it was all over the place. I cleaned the oil off the rear tire with a little dish soap in water and an old dish brush, rinse with water, the tire looked like new.

At about 1700 miles the sprockets were really dry, and I followed your advice of putting a drip of oil on just 12-15 links, that worked great, thank you, and it held out fine to the 1800 mile mark.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
You mean, the O-rings don't need lubrication, only the sprockets where they touch the chain rollers ?
Yes, exactly.
The low-grade solvent (kerosene) actually has a tiny bit of lube property when it evaporates and the part of the link INSIDE the O-rings has it's own grease.......if it's not totally worn out.