Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
Vegas Street Rider

It was the beer that did it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Congrats to you. I am impressed with your success in getting a non running bike ready to hit the streets. I know you will enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
bachelorb

Thanks!! Now I'm trying to chase down a short in the rear turn signals. Neither one works. When I put the left one on, the front signal blinks, but the tail light blinks with it ever so slightly. When I turn the right one on, the front signal doesn't blink, and neither does the taillights. I'm assuming two different problems.....

I sure do miss those analog volt meters. When I was chasing down turn signal problems, I could see that needle swinging from six feet away. These digital meters don't help much when looking for blinking voltage.......

Old 09-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #14
Donald McPherson

Don't you get one with beepers?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Don't you get one with beepers?
Are you talking digital meters? I have a beeper for continuity but not voltage.

Well, I have been pouring over the wiring diagrams and I traced some wiring. found one wire that was bad in the rear fender and repaired it. Now all the continuity all checks out, but still no turn signals. Next I took apart the turn signal switch and cleaned it. all the continuity checks out there for both sides all the way to the connector. From there I decided to take a Wag at it and I believe its the turn signal relay. Ordered one of those and it should be here Monday.

Funny story.... (not really, but I'm laughing at it now).... While tracing the wiring and ohming it out, somewhere along the way after stuffing the headlight wiring back in, the left driving light quit working.... So back apart and checking wiring and this and that and getting frustrated until I decided to check the bulb...... It was blown....... I turned a simple five minute fix into an hour and a half over a blown out light bulb...... and thats the way I work.........

Old 09-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
bachelorb

Shakedown Cruise!!

Cue Music!!

Sooooooo. I got the bike all bolted back together except for the turn signal relay..... Polished up on my hand signals and took off

I rode out to the "First Oklahoma Oil Well" tourist site right here off Route 66 (....not much of a tourist site...... )

Impressions: (This was the first time I rode it for more than up and down the street.) It really reminded me of my first "real" bike..... A 1973 Honda CB175..... My knees were about as high on the tank and the power was just about the same. The foot position is not that much off of the ol Honda. I do need to adjust the brake pedal though. It's really high.... I have to lift my foot off the rest to get it.

I was surprised how little it vibrated. I haven't put the handlebar weights on yet and I sure didn't notice much in the hands or in the mirrors. Really a pretty well behaved little bike. My top speed was around 55 mph. The CB175 could do around 70, but I was 30 lbs lighter then.....

I'm pretty happy.......just a couple of small things to do before I can get to customizing it a little to make it mine........
Old 09-15-2018, 04:37 AM   #17
alantf

You mentioned the brake pedal being in the wrong position. strangely enough, all GZs come from the factory with the brake pedal in the wrong position. Dunno why.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
You mentioned the brake pedal being in the wrong position. strangely enough, all GZs come from the factory with the brake pedal in the wrong position. Dunno why.
Yeah...... the shop manual said two inches above the peg. Mine was at 5 inches !!! Quick fix, and a whole lot better!!!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
Yeah...... the shop manual said two inches above the peg. Mine was at 5 inches !!! Quick fix, and a whole lot better!!!
You also may have to adjust the rear brake light switch.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 AM   #20
alantf

........... and the brake rod. I had to also move the activating arm on the spindle.