Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Chris

Valve adjustments

Does anyone know the valve clearances on the GZ250? I can't seem to find out and it is time to adjust them.

Chris, Atlanta

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
music man

Re: Valve adjustments

Look in the Service manual, it should be in there. Here ya go.....viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27
Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
mrlmd1

Why do you say it's time to adjust them? By mileage, or is it running "funny"?
Why would you want to fuss with it if it runs fine? Any advantage to checking the clearances if performance and gas mileage is OK?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Chris

If I had a Service Manual I would have looked it up, but the manuals are $60 and I'm broke.
Not running funny, in fact running great. I have a friend who is a national motorcycle maintanance expert and he says it is time and he will show me how to do it. The bike has 5300 miles on it.

Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
JWR

Download the manuals in the link above.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
If I had a Service Manual I would have looked it up, but the manuals are $60 and I'm broke.
Not running funny, in fact running great. I have a friend who is a national motorcycle maintanance expert and he says it is time and he will show me how to do it. The bike has 5300 miles on it.

Chris

That is why I gave you the link to the FREE service manual. I guess I should have been a little more specific.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
mrlmd1

So again, other than someone says "it's time", or "it's due", or an expert can show you how to do it, what is the reason for doing it in the first place if there's no problem with the running of the bike? I understand that oil's lubricating ability deteriorates over time, so it needs changing. I know tires and brakes wear, so they need replacing. Valve seats wear too, but do they need adjusting or clearances inspected if the engine's running fine, or is this something the dealer says needs be done to make them a few extra bucks? If there's no problem, what happens if they are not "adjusted"?
I've had innumerable cars over the years, and some "high powered, high performance" sports cars, foreign and domestic, and don't ever recall having a valve adjustment on any of them. Other than a little higher revs, what's the difference between a bike and car as far as this goes?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Bikes usually have a different valve train design which needs to be checked/adjusted regularly. If your friendly expert is willing to be a mentor then by all means go for it. Your bike may be running like a dream but on the verge of needing a valve adjustment. Best to check before you burn a valve and need to tear it down.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Why would you want to fuss with it if it runs fine? Any advantage to checking the clearances if performance and gas mileage is OK?
Because there often are NO symptoms of a valve out of adjustment........until there is damage that can't be fixed with a simple adjustment. This is especially true of designs with multiple valves per port.

I think the recommended intervals are extremely short for the GZ. I intend to have mine checked at about 2X the recommended interval......sooner if there are symptoms.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I've had innumerable cars over the years, and some "high powered, high performance" sports cars, foreign and domestic, and don't ever recall having a valve adjustment on any of them. Other than a little higher revs, what's the difference between a bike and car as far as this goes?
All of those cars probably had self-adjusting, hydralic valve lifters. Some bikes do too but not many.

Not only do the valve seats wear but so do the seating surfaces of the valve itself, the end of the valve stem, the lifter (if any) and the cam lobes.