Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
marzzy

oil drain plug

I am looking for the oil drain plug. I see nothing on the bottom. There is a bolt on the side but I am thinking it is so high up not all the oil will drain out. Also. Is there a compartment to put my registration into??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
music man

Re: oil drain plug

go to this thread and download the service manual to find the drain plug viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27.

And there is a compartment under the seat, it locks with a key, that is where my registration is, along with as many tools as i could cram in there (which is alot more than you think)
Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

While you're getting the service manual, download the Owner's Manual and read it thoroughly. You'll learn more from there than you think.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
While you're getting the service manual, download the Owner's Manual and read it thoroughly. You'll learn more from there than you think.
His owner's manual may very well be in his as yet undiscovered underseat compartment.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
marzzy

Thank you all for your replys. As for a compartment under the seat, that is the first place I checked but there is nothing at all under the seat. My gz250 is 1999. I wonder if it is missing? Perhaps I shall tape the registration onto the underside of the seat. Service manual next to find the "real" drain plug.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Can you actually see the fuse box? If so, then the box may be missing. You might want to go to somewhere cheap (a dollar store for instance) and pick up a kid's pencil box from the school supplies aisle and velcro or in other ways attach it in there. Don't forget to keep any papers in a ziplock though.

It's also a good idea to keep a copy on your person when you ride as well...preferably with an emergency contact information sheet. In a crash, motorcycles are not always left in one piece conveniently placed right beside their riders.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
GZ250

here is a picture of the drain hole and as you can see it has a special metal area with a slight depression and it is directly behind and underneath (difficult to see). there is a nut slightly above that is easily visible. either put a mirror or lie down and carefully slide your head down to see that nut. in the other picture i have put an arrow. at that location if you slide you hand and try to touch the nut with your fingure you will feel it. the tools are also visible in the picture that make the job easier, i do not need anyone else to hold or tilt the motorcycle. use a pan to drain oil, lot of oil comes out of the filter area and after the bulk of the oil had drained out i put a ball of paper towel in the filter area so that oil does not spill on the floor and tilt the motorcycle on this side to remove as much as possible the old oil from the drain hole and i see some oil coming out.

Rotella T is a different story. today for the first time i used rotella T and i really feel the difference in gear shifting and smoothness. may be just because it is fresh oil, will tell more about the difference after some miles.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
marzzy

Hello again commrades! I put a mirror under the motorcycle and found the the drain plug. I found the appropriate socket with an extension and tried as hard as I could to loosen it. I have also sprayed liquid wrench onto it and is not yet working either. The problem seems to be that the plug is so shallow that the socket keeps jumping off of it
(17mm). I stopped at the local motorcycle shop this morning and they told me $75.00 for an oil change.yikes! Why??? Any suggestions?
:??:
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Gotta ask the obvious. Are you trying to turn the drain plug the right way. It isn't too hard to get turned around when you are almost standing on your head.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
music man

75 BUCKS for an oil change, Holy Rip Off Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: