Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
Easy Rider

Re: idle speed thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
the clutch is slipping. it has started to get a little worse over the last few days.

the engine used to make a louder noise when i let the clutch out when the bike was in neutral. it has stopped doing that today.
I suggest that you get a professional mechanic to diagnose the problem first.

Just a few days ago you assured us that it was NOT slipping and seemed rather indignant that it was even suggested.

The two statements above likely are NOT related, as the plates themselves make NO noise. The noise comes from the bearings and changing those is not quite so easy a task.

I believe you are about to get in over your head.

You do have slack in the clutch cable, right? I think you said YES to that once before.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
the clutch is slipping. it has started to get a little worse over the last few days.

the engine used to make a louder noise when i let the clutch out when the bike was in neutral. it has stopped doing that today.
I suggest that you get a professional mechanic to diagnose the problem first.

Just a few days ago you assured us that it was NOT slipping and seemed rather indignant that it was even suggested.

The two statements above likely are NOT related, as the plates themselves make NO noise. The noise comes from the bearings and changing those is not quite so easy a task.

I believe you are about to get in over your head.

You do have slack in the clutch cable, right? I think you said YES to that once before.
well i didn't think it was slip at first, it did not really feel like one and now it does. , plus according to the sites on how to test your clutch, it was fine. however i dont think any of those test were for when it was slipping at the higher rpm's they were pretty much to test from off the line. it up shifts great and downshifts great it is only the higher rpm's where it starts to slip and has got worse.

today when it started to feel like it lost torque and i give it gas it reved up for a good second or two and than takes off again. when before it would take off as soon as i gave it some more gas.

yes i have between 10 and 15mm of slack in the cable.. think it was on the higher side. if all i need to change out is the plates no biggie. if i need to do any thing else, i will be in over my head..
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
..... plus according to the sites on how to test your clutch, it was fine. however i dont think any of those test were for when it was slipping at the higher rpm's they were pretty much to test from off the line. it up shifts great and downshifts great it is only the higher rpm's where it starts to slip and has got worse.
What those sites are trying to tell you, my fine young friend, IS that clutches usually do NOT slip ONLY at high speeds; high loads maybe but not necessarily high speed. I'm trying to tell you that too.

I think you might just be experiencing the "normal" flat spot in the power band of the GZ engine.

You definitely should NOT tear your clutch apart until you are sure that is the problem. And I don't think that you alone will be able to make that determination accurately; not at this stage in your riding career anyway.

Some people just aren't "tuned to the right frequency" to be able to tell a slipping clutch from a dirty carb. Correction, make that a LOT of people.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #24
adrianinflorida

Get someone who has ridden motorcycles for a while to ride your bike. He/she may not know all the little nuances of your GZ, but they will probably be able to tell if it's truly slipping.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Get someone who has ridden motorcycles for a while to ride your bike. He/she may not know all the little nuances of your GZ, but they will probably be able to tell if it's truly slipping.
Excellant idea :2tup: :2tup:

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
..... plus according to the sites on how to test your clutch, it was fine. however i dont think any of those test were for when it was slipping at the higher rpm's they were pretty much to test from off the line. it up shifts great and downshifts great it is only the higher rpm's where it starts to slip and has got worse.
What those sites are trying to tell you, my fine young friend, IS that clutches usually do NOT slip ONLY at high speeds; high loads maybe but not necessarily high speed. I'm trying to tell you that too.

I think you might just be experiencing the "normal" flat spot in the power band of the GZ engine.

You definitely should NOT tear your clutch apart until you are sure that is the problem. And I don't think that you alone will be able to make that determination accurately; not at this stage in your riding career anyway.

Some people just aren't "tuned to the right frequency" to be able to tell a slipping clutch from a dirty carb. Correction, make that a LOT of people.
a flat spot in the power band was exactly what it felt like. it just felt like the rpm's flattend out. but now it feels as if it flattens out and revs with no response. im about to go for a little ride in a few min here. i might take my camera and video what its's doing

as far as haivng a motorcycle guy ride the bike for a opinion, i don't know any one here in Tennessee that rides motorcycles. i moved here about 8 months ago and i never leave the house. i haven't bothered to go out and try to make friend.. latley i been quit content hanging out at home by my self..
Old 05-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #27
dannylightning

after being told in a post that my clutch is slipping and reading some info that stated, when the clutch starts to slip it usually starts at a higher rpm and than starts slipping off the line later i got a little concerned and started playing around with it. lately i been really stressed out and have high anxiety levels.. i start worrying about things. if it starts to slip off the line than im gonna worry about it untill than im gonna drive it and not worry about it and assume it's just the flat spot in the power band. when i give it a lot of throttle i feel no flat spot or slipping feeling only when driving slow, i'm sure if it were slipping it would slip when i give it a lot of throttle too.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
adrianinflorida

If it's only slipping at the top of the powerband, you'll notice it. It'll be almost like riding along at 50, or so, and all of a sudden pulling in the clutch, the engine will rev real high since it's no longer under load from the chain/rear wheel. More throttle usually makes a clutch that's starting to slip show itself, necause the increased engine output can no longer be transferred through the wrorn clutch to the drivetrain. It's sort of like brakes that are wearing out, they don't grip the disc/drum like they should and you get a faded feel to the brake pedal. A clutch relies on friction in a similar way.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
when i give it a lot of throttle i feel no flat spot or slipping feeling only when driving slow, i'm sure if it were slipping it would slip when i give it a lot of throttle too.
Yea! We finally got it. I love it when a plan comes together !! :cool:
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Thank Goodness it is almost resolved completely. Now, Danny, get out and meet some people. You will turn into a hermit and continue to agonize over non-issues. The path to insanity is not that long.