Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #11
birdmove

I had a 2001 Kawasaki KLR250 that I rode for over 10,000 miles. It always had a problem shifting. If I didn't make the 1st to 2nd shift very slowly and deliberateley, it would miss the shift and go into nneutral. I switched to a synthetic oil,Mobile One 10W-40 "red cap" (no longer made) and never had the problem again.

jon

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove
I switched to a synthetic oil,Mobile One 10W-40 "red cap" (no longer made) and never had the problem again.

jon
But they do still make 10W40 cycle specific synthetic.
Hard to find. I've got some on order now.

Sarris:
We are both comfortable in what each of us is doing. This is good.
It does not, however, change the fact that synthetic is better oil.
It is not "hype". Some are willing to pay extra for the extra "features" and some are not.
Neither is wrong; just different.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
Badbob

[quote="But they do still make 10W40 cycle specific synthetic. Hard to find. I've got some on order now.[/quote]

They sell it in Auto Zone here. I suspect it is its the same oil as the old red cap oil. Same oil, different bottle, motorcycle on the lable, and double the price. I have no evidence of just my suspicious nature.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Badbob

Re: Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Just my opinion, no hard feelings.
Why would there be? You can run used vegetable oil from the French fry cooker at McDonalds in your bike. If you do this I'd be real interested in the results.

Before you ask, this has been done. It was an attempt to destroy and old Honda that they eventually tossed off the top of a building when it would not die. Al bent up with flat tires and bent wheels it still worked well enough that they were able to ride it for a short distance.

A GZ250 only holds 1.3L of oil. If synthetic cost twice as much thats only what $2 more. Its much smoother and shifts way better than with any dino oil I tried. With all the additional benefits I call it a bargain.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Badbob, now you have done it. Mentioning prices to a rider in the GWN is the same as saying bend over and smile. The price of oil here is a bit nuts. Amsoil M/C oil is $12 before taxes and then there are filters to consider. The word outragious comes to mind when comparing our prices to U.S. prices. That being said, I still opt to spend the extra $$$ on oil as I feel it is a great insurance policy for a long life engine and transmission. With what we invest in our bikes at purchase it makes sense to invest a little more at oil change time. The 250 costs 0.7 % of it 's initial cost to do a oil change and filter. The VStrom costs about 0.3 % of it's total cost. Looking at it this way it is pretty darn cheap to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
They sell it in Auto Zone here. I suspect it is its the same oil as the old red cap oil. Same oil, different bottle, motorcycle on the lable, and double the price.
Now you tell me!

I'll keep that in mind when the 6 qts. I'm getting runs out in about 3 years!

Double the price of the red-cap syn. cage oil? Surely not.......really?
Guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #17
Gadzooks Mike

I changed my oil about 500 miles ago and put in the normal 10-40 that I get from Suzuki. But after reading a lot of stuff here, and having a rather boring Saturday afternoon waiting for the baseball game to start, I rode down to the store and bought a couple quarters of Mobile-1 synthetic motorcycle oil. All I can say is that if you don't believe it shifts easier - and I mean EASIER - you should try it yourself. And this was from fairly new oil (500 miles or so) to synthetic. The normal clunk felt and heard while shifting is gone completely. I can't help but think this is much easier on the bike.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
All I can say is that if you don't believe it shifts easier - and I mean EASIER - you should try it yourself. And this was from fairly new oil (500 miles or so) to synthetic. The normal clunk felt and heard while shifting is gone completely. I can't help but think this is much easier on the bike.
It IS better oil for several reasons. Even at $8.80 a quart, worth every penny in my book.
Got mine yesterday. Maybe I'll get it changed today.
Have you put on a 16T front sprocket yet? If not, you REALLY should.........unless most of your riding is done with more than a 300 pound load!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #19
Gadzooks Mike

Yup, went 16T about a month ago - WONDERFUL!! It rides like it should now!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
birdmove

So you went from a 15 to a 16? Didi it improve your gas mileage?

Thanks, Jon