Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
fairweatherrider

Signal lights

I'm having a little trouble with my signal lights. Before I ride I check the lights and I have to continuously push the switch that shuts them off before they finally will work. I tried spraying contact cleaner in the assembly, when the key is off of course, but that didn't work.
I'm also wondering, is there a replacement signal light relay or assembly that will automatically turn the lights OFF after a turn is made. I forget many times to push in the switch to shut them off and I think that's a littttttle dangerous.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Signal lights

Sounds like you may need a new switch.Some people hook up a buzzer as a reminder to shut off siginal lights.There is lots of info on here on hook up of buzzer.Do a quick search. :2tup:

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
fairweatherrider

You might be right on the needing a new switch. It just seems funny though they work fine once they start working until I turn off the engine. Then I go through the procedure again. I'll check on the posts for more info. Thanks for the reply. A buzzer though????? I'm not sure about that with the engine noise and other traffic noise. I was thinking or hoping that Suzuki had come out with a new switch or relay that shuts them off. Do you know if the 2010 has a new system? I might just call Suzuki and find out.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherrider
You might be right on the needing a new switch. It just seems funny though they work fine once they start working until I turn off the engine. Then I go through the procedure again. I'll check on the posts for more info. Thanks for the reply. A buzzer though????? I'm not sure about that with the engine noise and other traffic noise. I was thinking or hoping that Suzuki had come out with a new switch or relay that shuts them off. Do you know if the 2010 has a new system? I might just call Suzuki and find out.
No difference for 2010.Larger bikes have self canceling turn signals.Not the G.Z. Once you log a few more miles you will find that turning off the signal lights becomes second nature.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
fairweatherrider

Okay, I'm going to see what I can come up with besides a buzzer.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
mrlmd1

You are operating the switch correctly, right? You have to push it in to turn the turn signals off.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
fairweatherrider

Oh yeah I'm operating them right. I believe Blaine was right on needing a new switch but I was figuring if I had to change the switch maybe I could rewire a different relay to get them to turn off automatically. .......or like he said put on another 500 miles and I'll get used to it, and that's the cheaper way out
Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
JWR

I try to turn mine off mid-way thru the turn.

Then I may hit it a few times while riding...just a mental check.

The old PC does self cancel.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Get into the habit of turning off the signals as soon as you are finished a turn. Also get into a habit(my favorite) of automatically pushing the off switch after each shift. You will soon find a happy habit and be safer.
Proper switch use: Move to left for left turn, move to right for right turn. The switch is only meant to be pushed in to cancel the signals. It will always come back out and wait for the next signal.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
fairweatherrider

I'm getting a lot better in remembering. Yesterday I was stopped at a traffic light and the driver of a car in back told me my signal light was on. I thanked him for telling me but I felt like an ass. After that happened I was very attentive to the darnn blinking light.