Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
chandlerbingfl

High idle...

Hello fellow owners! Not well versed in bike mechanics but when I started my GZ this morning the idle was pretty high. Probably close to the 3k-4k mark when stopped. This never happened before and when I would turn off the bike it would pop/backfire. I checked the manual posted here but not quite sure what to check. Is it the screw w/ the white knob on it? That looks to be a stop for the throttle but when I tried adjusting it did nothing. I did turn it but put it back in the same spot, still no change in idle. Up till this the bike ran perfectly...

Any suggestions? Like I said not much experience so any help will be appreciated. I know the choke is in the "off" position and was wondering if this might be "on" even though it is "off"... maybe a stuck cable?

Thanks in advance!
chandler

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: High idle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
I know the choke is in the "off" position and was wondering if this might be "on" even though it is "off"... maybe a stuck cable?
Yes, could be. Also could be stuck or tight throttle cables, which sometimes only happens when the bars are turned to the extreme. Might try rotating the throttle grip to the slow direction and pointing the front wheel straight ahead.

OTOH, it could be a brain cramp too. Try it with the choke lever in the OTHER position. :biggrin:

Just as a refresher: GZ owners, for the choke, which way is OFF......????
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
bonehead

Choke is off in the foreward position(pushed toward the front of the bike)

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

Thanks so far but I know I haven't cranked the bars to full lock in either direction. I'm wondering if the choke cable is stuck, maybe busted... I see how the throttle cable is attached but where does the choke cable run to and how does it connect / control the choke itself? Can I disconnect it somehow?

Again, TIA
chandler
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Thanks so far but I know I haven't cranked the bars to full lock in either direction.
Even when it is parked ??
When placed on the sidestand, the bars often go full left whether you want them to or not.

This conversation is beginning to have an old familiar pattern to it.....and that's probably not good.

You need to keep an open mind....and you need to check out other easy and equally possible causes and not be stuck JUST on the choke cable. It might be a choke cable problem but it might not too.

Is your choke lever pushed all the way forward ?? Does it feel about the same as always if you move it back and forth ?? Have you given the throttle a "test twist" or two with the bike off while watching the attachment at the carb ?? Does the throttle feel "right" ?? If you let it go, does it snap back like it should ??

Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
dhgeyer

Does the bike start easily after sitting overnight with the choke lever in the OFF position? It shouldn't, even if the throttle is part way on. If it does, then the choke would be a good place to look.

The choke cable enters the carburetor on the left side, high up, at the front. There's a brass nut, and the cable goes through an elbow right before going into the carb. If the elbow got pulled out, it could get stuck, and that would cause the choke to be on. Also, the choke cable has an adjustment up near the choke lever. If the locknut came loose and the adjustment moved, that could cause the choke to be on.

If the bike doesn't start easily, cold, with the choke OFF, your problem probably lies elsewhere, very likely one of Easy Rider's tests might find the problem.

The white knob you mention is indeed the idle adjustment, but it's very unlikely to have moved by itself, and just turning the idle down using that would be a "Band Aid" solution, and probably not good for the engine.

Another possibility is something sticking inside the carb itself. Has the bike been sitting for a while? Doesn't seem to take long for these carburetors to gum up.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
When placed on the sidestand, the bars often go full left whether you want them to or not.
And you really DO want them to go full left, or you can't lock the steering.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Does the bike start easily after sitting overnight with the choke lever in the OFF position? It shouldn't,
This must be something to do with the weak setting of the carb on the American bikes. The only time mine needs choke is when it's been sitting for 2 or 3 weeks (like when I've been on holiday) & even then, I can turn the choke off as soon as the bike starts. It's always been like this for the 3 years I've had it (from new) & it runs perfectly, with a decent mpg, so there's nothing wrong with the bike. I know that the temperature never drops below 10ºC/50ºF, but I assume that you still have to use the choke on American bikes above these temperatures. I wonder if any other European members can come in here & tell us if they need the choke or not.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I wonder if any other European members can come in here & tell us if they need the choke or not.
I don't seem to need it. But, the bike and I are still in the early stages of our honeymoon.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Does the bike start easily after sitting overnight with the choke lever in the OFF position? It shouldn't,
This must be something to do with the weak setting of the carb on the American bikes.
Yes, it absolutely DOES.
Go ahead, keep rubbing it IN. :skull:

:biggrin: