Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #31
b1pig

Re: Engine Seized - Please Help

so, Peter...

you going to try and rebuild your current engine or source a replacement through salvage or ebay?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
PeterSeymour

Well I don't really know what I am going to do - I feel like I have a lot of options but none of them are very good. At the very least I will need a new piston, head, valves, and will need to re-sleeve/hone the cylinder in order to rebuild the engine. That seems like a lot of money to put into a bike with a KBB value of $940, not to mention the fact that I am a full time student and work two jobs on the side so time is a premium and I need transportation urgently (my legs are getting tired now that I have to rely on pedal power everyday). Also until I complete this rebuild I have no foolproof way of determining whether or not something bent/broke in the bottom end of the engine. I am very worried about this because the clutch appears to not disengage with the lever depressed even though the clutch plates move. This may be a function of the clutch having no oil but I really do not know and would have to do more troubleshooting and deconstruction to find out.

Ultimately I think the only way to salvage the bike is to throw a new engine in it, and all the salvage yards near me priced out junk engines at above $400 - and running engines between $600 and $800 depending on mileage. The same yards said they would give me only $50 and $75 were I to salvage what's left of the bike, so I know that is one option I definitely will not choose. My problem with throwing a new engine in this bike is both the fact that I need transportation soon and that, while I want to save what has been a great first bike, I simply cannot justify spending 2/3 or 3/4 of the kbb value in repairs. I also was planning on upgrading after about 10000 miles on the bike, so even though I did not reach that goal I did put almost 4000 on it and that is a lot of work and money for 6000 miles.

So my big question is, is there any way to reasonably fix this bike for around/under $500 doing the labor myself? In the end it comes down to where I might be able to find an engine for less than what I've seen so far. I also had a bit of an oddball idea suggested to me by one of my professors - actually the chair of the department. If I donate the bike to the engineering program they will provide some funding and give me credit to make it electric, and if I fund the project they will give me credit and let me keep what I build. I'm not sure this route appeals to me as I really enjoy long days touring (something the GZ was already ill equipped for) and an electric bike simply cannot tour. Is there any precedent towards making a GZ electric? It seems like it actually wouldn't be hard at all with the right electric motor, but I just do not know.

Thanks again for all the help and support I have gotten here. I enjoyed my time on the GZ immensely and I really wish it was still running. As for the actual breakdown and what I could have done, I probably should have just stopped the bike and gotten it towed, but it was Thanksgiving day and I most likely would have been stranded out of town until that Monday or have faced an immense towing bill - so I really don't think I many other choices but to try and limp home. That's one decision I will second guess for a long time though.

As promised I will post a full complement of pictures later tonight.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
Sarris

Given your situation, and your stated proclivity to move to a larger bike soon, I would suggest parting it it out. It's probably worth more in parts than as a whole. Then, I'd take that money, and the money you'd spend on repairs or an engine replacement, and buy a larger bike.

You can do the part out by internet post and remove the parts as your time allows.

You really don't want to be upside down in a GZ.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSeymour
Ultimately I think the only way to salvage the bike is to throw a new engine in it,

So my big question is, is there any way to reasonably fix this bike for around/under $500 doing the labor myself?

That's one decision I will second guess for a long time though.
With the figures you quoted, the answer is NO; you have answered your own question; you just need to actually believe what you have already figured out.

Maybe the most important part is the unknown. You might spend $500 and a month's worth of time, only to find out that the crank is bent and it will all be wasted. Even getting a "running" used engine is a gamble.

As for second guessing............the first mistake you made was not fixing the problem of not being able to see the oil level properly. If you had done that in the beginning, you might still have a running bike.
For want of a nail, a shoe was lost; for want of a shoe, the horse was lost, etc..............!!
If you fix the little things as they go wrong, they won't become BIG things later.

We've all learned some lessons the hard way; this is one of your's.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Given your situation, and your stated proclivity to move to a larger bike soon, I would suggest parting it it out.
Or selling as a whole "parts bike" fully disclosing the problem(s).

I'd think it would be worth $200 or so to the right person.

Parting it out might increase the total take a bit but would be a tremendous pain in the butt and it doesn't sound to me like you have the time.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Sarris has a good solution to consider.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #37
alanmcorcoran

Keep the bike, look around for another 1999 or similar vintage. You can probably negoatiate to buy one that's 11 years old for less than $1000, maybe even just a tad more than $500. A bike that old will probably have some "issues" and you'll have your original 1999 you can cannibalize for parts. Seems like you like to dig around and take things apart anyway.

I'd try to find one with low mileage and decent tires, but I suppose that is obvious. I'd sell you mine for cheap if it wasn't so new and you weren't a whole state away. Ya got $1800 for an '08 with less than 5K? Has saddlebags, sissy bar, windshield and the engine runs great. Take you a day to ride it back to AZ. Might even go with for part of the way. I'm just using it for around town - but I could use the KLR for that. Save me some room in the garage and a few bucks on registration and insurance.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #38
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
A bike that old will probably have some "issues" and you'll have your original 1999 you can cannibalize for parts.
Zombie hunter to the rescue !!

I think that any of the proposed options are better than trying to "fix" the bike you have now........unless maybe you can find a used engine that you KNOW is in good shape.