Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
PG tips

tyre mileage

So, how much mileage are people getting from their the gz tyres?
I know this will depend on the tyres and surface risen on and probably the temperature conditions.
Mine are continentals and while I feel reasonably good on them in the dry, I don't feel confident on them in the wet, I'm sure the back has slipped a bit under me recently cornering slowly in the wet but it may be my lack of experience especially in the wet and being cagy about that.
It wasn't a problem before as I rode when the weather was as good as it could be, now I'm doing a bit more commuting in whatever weather there is.
The weather seems to be improving and if there is a long spell of dry, I wouldn't mind wearing them down over the summer,I'm just not as certain if tyres wear as much in the wet and cold.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by PG tips; 04-04-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

First thing is to check the age of the rear tire. If it is over 5 years it is due for replacement no matter how much tread you have left. Same goes for the front tire. Rubber dries out and gets hard with age which is very dangerous on a bike. Cooler, wet weather will just increase the danger factor as big bunch. The rubber is no longer flexible and grippy on road surfaces.
Tire mileage itself is determined by a few factors. Road surfaces, riders's weight, speed, rubber composition, acceleration, braking habits and of course tire pressure.
Lynda's GZ with OEM tires went over 8000 miles with little wear. She was a moderate rider with a smooth hand on the throttle and easy on the brakes.
Riding in the mountain twisties is easier on the tread of the tires because you lean and even out the wear by using up the sides a bit.

Also, I was in the habit of running her tire pressures a bit over the recommended numbers in the manual. I would bump up the PSI about 2 PSI over the suggested 2 up numbers. This also worked well on my Vstrom and eventually 4 or 5 PSI over the manual worked well. The BridgeStone tires would go 15,000 to 16,000 miles before being replaced along with the wheel bearing everytime just as a preventative maintenance measure and they are pretty cheap insurance.
The M-50 also got good wear with the pressures bumped up a bit too.
All in all, old tires with low pressure or very high PSI will hurt you.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 04-04-2015 at 10:52 PM.