Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
Toony

Replaced ignition, no spark

2002 model suzuki gz 250

So im going to go into a bit of detail about the current circumstances, but for those who need a quick rundown ill put the TLDR(too long, didnt read) right below.

TLDR: Replaced the ignition on my 2002 model gz250. Wiring on the new ignition was incorrect so i attempted to fix it, only halfway succeeded (at least i feel this is where the issue lies) no spark from the ignition coil.

For the longer version:

Ive had the bike for almost a year and a half, its been garage kept and barely ridden as i wanted to do some cosmetic work before i got it inspected. I lost my key while i was out of state, and didn't realize until i got home. I bit the bullet and bought a new ignition for it from walmart, which had to be orderd from them online . I assumed it would be a simple plug and play since i didn't have the handlebars locked so there was no need to cut anything. When i plugged up the new ignition and turned the key, i got nothing electrical wise. At this point i should have returned it and bought an OEM or used ignition, but i made the foolhardy mistake of deciding to diagnose the issue, knowing i was not equipped to deal with electrical issues. i discovered that electrical stuff did in fact work, but only when the key was turned in odd orientations

ON position- nothing
OFF- headlights come on
PARK/LOCKED- everything comes on, and the bike turned over(it never started as i never attempted to fully start it)

Cue to me unplugging the new ignition and pulling the wires out of the connector and re wiring them (on the ignition side, not the wiring harness side) as best i could following a wiring diagram i only partially understood.

Now all the electrical works with the exception of me getting a spark, and the lights still come on when i turn the key to locked, which as far as i know, everything is supposed to be off and the power should not be going anywhere. My turn signals only partially work, if flip the turn signal in either direction theres roughly a 20% chance that they will activate.

The primaryissue i encountered during the rewiring was the fact that none of the new ignition wires were the same color as the harness side with the exception of the red one. i used a circuit tester on the connections with the key in different orientations recording my results untill i got a good guess of which was which, I've obviously made some kind of mistake and i accept my inability to work on electrical related issues as I don't want ignorance to lead to damaged parts (assuming it hasnt already). I will admit that i blew a fuse twice on the relay next to the battery, so if theres any parts that could have been damaged please inform me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
bachelorb

Man... it sounds like an interesting problem. Time is hard for me to come by right now. I did find this thread that maybe will help you out...

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showt...ighlight=spark

Maybe it'll help... Keep us in the loop here.... I've just went through some electrical issues myself and have the schematic at the ready..... if you're still having problems in a couple of days, I'll try to make some time

Brad
Old 10-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Toony

Hm, given the similarity, i feel that may be the solution. I guess my next question is, could an oem ignition do the trick? i no longer have accsess to the old one, so taking it to a lock smith isnt possible. while i dont mind spending the extra money to make sure it gets done right, id still like to be at least 80% sure that fix it. i wanna get an decent condition one, so as to avoid further complication.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Toony

Sorry for not properly submitting my reply, I'm rather new to the forums. I'd be happy to utilize that schematic, I've tried finding some online with differing results. I've yet to find one that shows wiring directly coming from the ignition which would be insurmountably useful in this situation. I'm more than happy to install a new ignition, which seems to be a good solution after reading the linked thread, though I would prefer to buy an original ignition over an aftermarket one. Would buying a used one possibly cause the same issues? I guess I wouldn't have to worry about rewiring, so that issues out, but there could also be an issue I haven't thought of.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
Vegas Street Rider

Experience shows that your best bet would be with an OEM replacement. Others have had mixed results with aftermarket products. Sometimes you just have to spend the money. Electrical issues aren't my strong point, so I will bow out of this one.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
alantf

As far as I can make out (poor drawing) on the original unit, red to starter relay, orange to tail light fuse, orange/yellow to igniter, black/white to ground.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
Toony

Hm, looks like ill be buying a new ignition then. I can't help but feel that if i keep messing with the wiring im only going to get frustrated and accidentally break something. There are no online diagrams for the aftermarket one for me to follow to correct it, so I guess im sol on that front. I'll bite the bullet and get an OEM one. Might be a few days as money is tight, but when I do ill post my results for anyone in the future. Lesson learned, buying aftermarket parts can be a hit or miss.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
bachelorb

Here's a picture of the wiring diagram. Do You have a multitester or a test light?

Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
Toony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
Here's a picture of the wiring diagram. Do You have a multitester or a test light?

I have both
Old 10-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
I have both

What alantf said is right. I'd try checking the continuity of the orange/yellow wire all the way to the ignitor.

Tags
ignition, spark, wiring