Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
joshuah459

Minimal functionality problem

So I have a GZ250 that was given to me that the headlight comes on, but the bike wont turn over not does the neutral or signal light show anything. The signal lights in the front come on and stay on, but don't blink. Sounds to me like something major isn't connected right. any ideas on where to start looking?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

May not be that simple, but have you checked your fuses? Also check continuity from both sides of the plug in the headlamp bucket. Mine had a wire that had pulled loose from the wire end insert inside the plastic plug. Instead of a new wiring harness, I clipped the wire on either side of the plug and put male and female connectors on that wire and then put insulating tape over it. The wire had pulled away from connector when the front wheel was turned and killed the power to the starter..

Check the wiring diagram in the manual if that does not work and start from one end with your test light and work your way forward until you find a break. Also check continuity through your kick stand switch. I assume you have verified that the bike is indeed in neutral.

Hard to diagnose some things in absentia, but this is a start.

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 03-05-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added additional info.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 AM   #3
alantf

If front signal lights come on, could these be the running lights, not the signals?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
joshuah459

Ok, so far I've tested all of the switches, it is in neutral and the neutral light is on. All of the signals work, brakes and headlamp are all good. Only the horn and starter don't work. I've jumped the starter and it does crank when I do that. I suspected the solonoid, but but it doesn't seem to be getting any signals from any of the wires plugged into it.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
Vegas Street Rider

Did the horn work since you have owned it? Just asking to see if you have more than one issue. Have you checked continuity through your kill switch? You didn't specify which switches you checked. The starter relay would be another thing to check. Go to the service manual to Section 6, page 10.

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 03-14-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 AM   #6
joshuah459

I checked the kill switch, starter switch, horn switch and the starter itself. The relay doesn't seem to be getting any signals from the wiring connector that connects to the starter solinoid
Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
alantf

Try testing the starter switch in the clutch lever, and the switch in the side stand, or you could try blasting them with aerosol contact cleaner. If you haven't got any contact cleaner, you need to get some, as it's very useful for all the bike's switches, because they're exposed to all the weather.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Roadking

You say the bike is new to you?
Do you know the clutch lever must be pulled, and the engine run switch on, and the bike must be in neutral all at the same time before the starter will engage?

I apologize if you already know this stuff but I didnt see it mentioned.

Also if the kickstand switch is bad it wont fire but should turn over
Old 03-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
alantf

[QUOTE The relay doesn't seem to be getting any signals from the wiring connector that connects to the starter solinoid[/QUOTE]
Have you checked the fuses?