Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-22-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
GZeachCruiser

Tail light wont brighten with rear break.

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and the GZ world. Just did a bunch of work on the bike and will be posting photos soon for fun.

So I was cutting off my muffler to install a new one and accidentally cut my rear stop lamp brake light switch cable. I ordered a new one and installed it but now my break light wont light up when I use the rear break. It does however light up with front break. I am curious how the cable engages the light in the first place.

Anyone know whats going on here? I assume it will be something small I am not noticing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2020, 03:44 AM   #2
alantf

There is a cable running from the brake pedal to the switch at the back of the bike, with an adjuster half way along. I suspect that your problem is something to do with either the cable or the switch. Probably the new cable needs adjusting for the switch to operate correctly

Last edited by alantf; 05-22-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
GZeachCruiser

SO that is my confusion. I reinstalled that exact cable with a used one however in very good condition. It locks in on the break pedal via a little slot. then theres adjustement at the back of the bike right near the passenger peg. I adjusted the two nuts to right where the old one was. This cable never connected to anything besides the slot and break up front or the adjustment area in the back. It is not near anything electrical. Does it have something to do with the black nipple thing that mounts behind the right side passenger peg?

Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
alantf

All the cable does is pull a switch which closes to put the light on. The adjuster needs to be adjusted so that when you press the pedal, the cable pulls the switch and puts the light on. If the cable you bought came from a bike whose pedal was set differently (The pedal can be rotated on its axis, for your comfort) then it will need adjusting.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
Donald McPherson

Just behind the foot pedal there should be a little spring which connects to a small pullout switch. It may need adjusting here. If you can pull on this switch the brake light should come on. Front and rear are separate switches.