Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Viirin

14 tooth

how fast realistically do you guys reckon you could go with a 14 tooth sprocket? I looked at that gear calculator thingy but i didn't think it was very accurate - at a guess i mean - i don't think people actually ever go less than stock but just wondering - could be handy considering i seldom drive on motorways and most of the time i'm trying to beat the traffic off the line

(by fast i mean top end speed - i don't really understand torque ratios...at least not enough to know if it's fast or not off a line just from figures)

Vii

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: 14 tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
how fast realistically do you guys reckon you could go with a 14 tooth sprocket?
You mean before the engine flies apart ??? :shocked:

NOT a good idea.

A couple of riders have reported in here to attest that riding the bike at or near it's rev limits is likely to cause premature engine failure.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
how fast realistically do you guys reckon you could go with a 14 tooth sprocket?
It would be very low geared making low gear all but useless.Plus as E.R. said very easy to over rev and blow up the engine.Also being geared low your would be spending all your time shifting up & down.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
It would be very low geared making low gear all but useless.Plus as E.R. said very easy to over rev and blow up the engine.Also being geared low your would be spending all your time shifting up & down.

Ditto on all that and more, like has been mentioned you would have to basically start out in 2nd gear and it would probably be as short as first is now, you probably wouldnt even be able to use first gear if you were just going through a store parking lot or something.

On the other hand it would be interesting to know what 5th gear would be like with it, I would be willing to bet if you have big enough coins in your coin purse you could get a pretty good top end speed out of it (but like E.R. said, right before the engine blew into a million pieces).

Think of the G.Z. like a Tank, it was never intended to be fast, just dependable and bulletproof. :2tup: Of course that isn't really true anymore either cause they have tanks that will almost outrun the G.Z. :retard:
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Viirin

Ah well it was just out of curiosity anyway - pretty sure i'd go for the 16t mod if any even though my motorway time is minimal - just to get the revs down a bit - thanks for the replies guys

Vii

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
cayuse

I don't think you'll go any faster, at least not for long.
On a 14T sprocket you'll be turning 7600rpm at 70mph. (on stock gears you are turning 7100).
So, you'll have lots of torque there so you'll be able to hang on to that speed a little better in the wind and hills.
However, coax her up to 80mph and she'll be turning 8700rpm.
For how long????

You could say the stock sprockets are kind of self-limiting in 5th gear. Unless you're going downhill with a stiff tailwind you'll never hurt the engine by overspeeding.

see my charts for stock sprockets and 16-tooth mod near the bottom of this page:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3567&start=25

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA