Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
kmrcstintn

???'s about engine break-in

I recently purchased a used GZ250 w/ 985 miles; the dealer did a courtesy service/oil change at delivery; I used their oil change as a 'flush' and did one @ 1325 miles; I have a weird observation concerning break-in...it 'feels' as though the engine 'loosened' and I sense better acceleration, slightly smoother shifting, and hopefully better top end, but riding locally I haven't had it over 50 mph (indicated) since I did the oil change;

now my ???'s...do these GZ's get better with age? how much more improvement can I expect? or is it more likely that I am getting used to the bike? thanks...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: ???'s about engine break-in

A couple oil changes and a few more miles will definitely wake up the bike. Parts need time to smoothen out and improve their surfaces. That part is done now. You may notice a smoother tranny break in for a bit longer than the engine power increase. Some engines take longer to wake up than others. I think it all depends on the break in procedure used by the individual. I followed the manual for my Vstrom 650 and it didn't wake up for the first 5000 miles.
You can probably follow the manual for regular servicing now after the extra rinse cycle. Sounds like you are treating the bike with a little TLC which never hurts.