Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
alantf

Re: 0-60 times?

One set of lights in our local town is a nightmare. There are three roads that all converge, and with typical Spanish logic, there are times when the greens &flashing orange (filter right) all come on at the same time. The road they converge on is uphill. When this happens, I like to get out of the way, uphill, as fast as possible. I've found that from standstill I can open the throttle wide, & out accelerate all the other traffic to get clear of the junction.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Skunkhome

Would that be during a leap year or century year?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
Don't forget, mine's a European bike. Set up properly, from the factory, not a weak, emission conscious, American bike.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
Don't forget, mine's a European bike. Set up properly, from the factory, not a weak, emission conscious, American bike.
So yours runs a hour faster during low tide while mine must rely on daylight savings time.
So tell me, in Europe, is it colder in the mountains or the winter? :??:
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
alantf

No, Ben Colder, or was that the alter ego of country singer Sheb Wooley?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaintbox
I was wondering if anyone had measured their 0-60 or 10-60 times. I would like to get mine, but it's hard to do wile riding, and there aren't a lot of places that are flat and straight for me to do it around Pittsburgh.
All joking aside, I understand that the bike will perform somewhere in the 10-11 second range. About the same as a 4 door sedan with a 2 L engine. That said, I feel little impetus to clock my bike as I feel it won't be something worth bragging about even though I feel like it is plenty fast enough to keep up with most traffic. I like the feel of the bike when I don't try to press WOT especially without the aide of a tach. I would prefer to focus on the bikes strong points, ie; great fuel economy, nimble handling, simple maintenance and iron clad reliability.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

I've read that my Vstrom would/will go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds. I honestly have never tried it and don't care to either.
Thankfully I got over the go fast/how fast syndrome many years ago before I had my own bike. I managed to wear out some nice cars and collected too many awards...........both are costly. It got to the point where I had to hire a lawyer to plead guilty for me so I might save my license. That was a somewhat exciting time. The young LEO got to find out exactly how fast his big Dodge 440 V-8 would go. 144 MPH. I was slightly slower but not WOT yet.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
greatmaul

You can get apps for the iphone or android that measure 0-60, etc, for free. I found one that's called the bmw mpower app, but there are several others. Search for dyno at the app store of your choice and you should find several free ones to try.

That said, I haven't tried it yet. I did try the speedo function, and the speedometer is pretty much set where I thought it was, about 2-3mph fast, which is good.
:cool:
Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The young LEO got to find out exactly how fast his big Dodge 440 V-8 would go. 144 MPH. I was slightly slower but not WOT yet.
yowza! What sort of vehicle were you running? I got a lot of that out of my system as well when I was 18 or so. Lucky to be alive, yes.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The young LEO got to find out exactly how fast his big Dodge 440 V-8 would go. 144 MPH. I was slightly slower but not WOT yet.
yowza! What sort of vehicle were you running? I got a lot of that out of my system as well when I was 18 or so. Lucky to be alive, yes.
Ah hah, I wondered who I would reel in with that statement. Believe it or not I was driving a 1967 Rambler American. It was the ultimate sleeper on the street. That was the 1st year American Motors built their own V-8 engines. It had a factory low compression 290 Cubic Inch engine with a slightly large 4 barrel carb on a 2 inch aluminum spacer and dual exhausts.
The speedo was circular and had marks well after the actual numbers stopped at 120 mph. 135 was my fastest with a tad left over in the skinny pedal.
A few years later I had an afternoon conversation with a fellow who was on the AMC racing team. At the time they (his team)used "4" 1968 Americans with hicomp 290's. A few tweaks with suspension and factory engine parts made them very competitive. Then the factory said no more and pulled out that group of cars to concentrate on other things. I think it was the Javelin/AMX cars from then on until Chrysler Corp. bought them out.