Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Palaka

Send a message via MSN to Palaka
1" handle bars

I have done the seach for this and I know that the gz uses 7/8 handle bars I am just wandering what you would have to change out to get it to fit a set of 1" bars?
The reason for asking this is I went to pull the vibration caps off the handle bars and the inside of the bar is severly corroded and I need to replace them anyways. Also I have a nice set of grips I could put on them if it was a 1".
thanks for any info or help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: 1" handle bars

You'd have to change the top clamp, the throttle control assembly and switches, the front brake master cylinder, the left control assembly and switches, and the clutch handle assembly. A very expensive proposition.

I suggest replacing the bar with another 7/8" bar and getting 7/8" grips.

I have Kuryakyn ISO grips on mine without the bar weights. It works great and is a hell of a lot cheaper the replacing all the control assemblies and clamps.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
You'd have to change the top clamp, the throttle control assembly and switches, the front brake master cylinder, the left control assembly and switches, and the clutch handle assembly. A very expensive proposition.

I suggest replacing the bar with another 7/8" bar and getting 7/8" grips.

I have Kuryakyn ISO grips on mine without the bar weights. It works great and is a hell of a lot cheaper the replacing all the control assemblies and clamps.

:plus1: I had Kuryakyn grips on mine too,no noticeable vibrations without the weights.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Palaka

Cool went ahead and ordered a new 9in rise buckhorn bars and going to try the grips you all are talking about. I even found that they make weights for them also ( atleast they say they fit all iso grips) I emailed the Kuryakyn tech support to be sure. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Viirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
You'd have to change the top clamp, the throttle control assembly and switches, the front brake master cylinder, the left control assembly and switches, and the clutch handle assembly.

.....fuck that :lol:

Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
.....fuck that :lol:
:plus1: :plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

I'd suggest you pass on the bar weights. They're really not required and they're ugly as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Palaka

I will eventually replace the clutch and brake res for some chrome ones but that will be later on. trying to find the rest of the stuff could be easy enough but dont feel like splicing or soldering all those connections just to get all the switches to work.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaka
I even found that they make weights for them also ( atleast they say they fit all iso grips) I emailed the Kuryakyn tech support to be sure. I will let you all know how it turns out.
I've got a set of Kury grip end weithts I'd be willing to part with for 1/2 suggested retail....plus shipping.

Have you considered that the cable for brake, clutch and switches may not be long enough to work with the new bars ??

This could turn into more of a project than you figured on.

AND if that does turn out to be a big problem.......you might want to re-visit that "corrosion" on the inside of the bars. Mine had a little discoloration left over from the plating process but it really wasn't corrosion.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaka
Cool went ahead and ordered a new 9in rise buckhorn bars and going to try the grips you all are talking about.
The orginal bars have a 7in rise.The 9in bars may be to high for your front master cylinder to reach without a new brake hose.Just a heads up before you order the new bars.
:rawk:

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Palaka

I went to a bike shop to order the bars and we measured it out and checked the cables and will have plenty of cable to do it. As far as the corrosion it is a good bit more than that I had a couple descent size flakes come out. It is to the point of exfoliation yet but if left unattended it would be soon. While searching through the post I found a lit that talked about the bars bending and easy and they weren't corroded so figured it would be the safest route to take.