Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Dirt_McGert

16-Tooth Front Sprocket & Clutch Wear

Will the slightly larger 16-tooth front sprocket cause the clutch to work harder/wear quicker? If it would, I would say it would cause minimal extra wear, but who knows.

P.S. With the new sprocket, I've noticed in 3rd-5th gear (especially 4th & 5th) a noise coming from the front sprocket area whenever I apply throttle. It sounds similar to say a metal washer thats spinning and sliding across another piece of metal. I made sure to bend the lock washer, so it's not that. Could it be the chain sides rubbing against the new sprocket, which doesn't have the rubber pieces? It also could be that the sound was there before, but I never noticed it. Next time you go for a ride, take a listen and tell me if you guys hear anything. Again, it's only when the tranny is engaged and I'm apply throttle. It's really only noticeable in 4th and 5th gear. It's not LOUD, but it's noticable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Gadzooks Mike

I just did around 2000 miles with mine and don't hear what you describe.

I'll write up a ride report for ya'll!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

neither do I. Properly installed, this sprocket change shouldn't make a change to the bike in any aspect, save gear ratio.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Dirt_McGert

Chances are I just didn't notice it before, but since I modded the bike I became more aware of the sounds it was making. I dunno, I'll have one somone who rides motorcycles check it out to be sure. It runs fine, and cruises a little bit better too with the new sprocket. I torqued the sprocket nut to spec too(65 ft-lbs), so it's all good.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Badbob

Re: 16-Tooth Front Sprocket & Clutch Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_McGert
I've noticed in 3rd-5th gear (especially 4th & 5th) a noise coming from the front sprocket area whenever I apply throttle.
If you sprockets are not aligned you will hear a noise that is more noticeable at certain speeds. I had this issue with stock sprockets. I use an alignment tool to set everything up and just be very careful when I'm adjusting the chain tension to turn the adjusting nuts by the same amount. This noise is caused buy the sides of the chain rubbing against the side of the sprocket. The sound tends to pulse due to the variation in chain tension as everything turns.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Sarris

Noise?

Make sure the damn thing is not on upside down. My replacement was not flat & protruded slightly on one side. It's worth a shot.

Good luck.

:chop:
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Dirt_McGert

Good call Badbob, that could be whats up with mine, as the sound is really only noticable in 4-5th gear and ONLY when I apply throttle. If I let off the throttle or disengage the clutch, no sound. I'm also pretty sure it's coming from the front sprocket area.

How would I go about aligning the sprockets?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Badbob

Quote:
How would I go about aligning the sprockets?
There are lots of methods and tools around for aligning sprockets and chains. I use the MotionPro Chain Alignment Tool. It clamps to the top of the rear sprocket over the chain with the rod extended along the chain. You sight along the chain and and adjust the right adjuster until the chain is parallel with the rod. Tighten it all down and recheck your chain tension. If you make you tension adjustments carefully and equally on both sides in the future and it will not go out of alignment unless you do something like remove the rear wheel.

The other methods I found and rejected used strings or straight edges to accomplish the same thing but I found these to cumbersome. With this tool you only need to remove the chain guard to mount it Once it is in place it holds itself so you can watch it while you make the adjustment. This makes it much easier and quicker. The rod is adjustable to different lengths and it can be adjusted so its usable on either side of a bike or on the bottom of the sprocket. It probably would not be very accurate on the bottom. The nylon screws and aluminum clam body are soft and might help prevent scratches. If you ride your bike much your probably are not to concerned about scratches on your sprockets.

You could make one form a steel rod and a C Clamp if you have the tools and the know how. I think getting it all square would be the hard part. I have the know how but not the metal working tools to make one so I bought one.

There is a laser tool for this but I didn't bother to look figuring it would be way to expensive and it would use batteries. It would be like using a high tech sledge hammer to kill gnats.