Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: Whole Foods...

[quote=5th_bike]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":2o7jmtf7
[
Repeat after me........1st gear is ONLY for starting after a COMPLETE stop......ONLY a complete stop..........
1st gear is ONLY for starting after a COMPLETE stop......ONLY a complete stop

As long as you don't have to put your feet down, you don't need first gear.[/quote:2o7jmtf7]

I beg to differ on that. There are many times i shift into first without coming to a complete stop. 5-10mph before coming to said stop i will shift into first. 5/10 times the light is going to turn green or traffic starts to move. Going 5mph is too slow for 2nd gear and the bike chug chug chug's. 1st gear is just fine when almost to a complete stop. I always shift to first coming to any stop period. Habit, so that im not in 2nd gear stalling the bike and looking like a fool at an intersection because i forgot to 'clunk' it into first after stopping.

Now, if you are going to slap it into 1st gear at 20 mph .... thats a different story.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
This usually only happens when I lose count (or forget) of the gear I'm in, and I miss the clunk that comes with shifting into first.
This is less likely to happen, I think, if you match gears with speed and let the clutch OUT for a bit in each gear.....if there is time. That way you should notice when you have gone too far .......before you go WAY too far.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I beg to differ on that. There are many times i shift into first without coming to a complete stop.
Well, I guess we will just disagree then. What kind of a bike do you have now?

IMHO, a stock GZ is geared WAY too low to be in 1st gear at any speed above a crawl....1,2,3 mph ??
And I can, and often DO proceed from 5mph in 2nd gear, and that's with a 16T front. It's all in the clutch control.

Remember we are discussing this with a couple of rookies.
Do you think it is a good thing to tell inexperienced riders to shift to 1st before stopped....or almost stopped ?? I don't.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I did this with the GZ too. 5mph and below, downshift to 1st. Like i said, it became habit and i still do it.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I beg to differ on that. There are many times i shift into first without coming to a complete stop. 5-10mph before coming to said stop i will shift into first. 5/10 times the light is going to turn green or traffic starts to move. Going 5mph is too slow for 2nd gear and the bike chug chug chug's. 1st gear is just fine when almost to a complete stop. I always shift to first coming to any stop period. Habit, so that im not in 2nd gear stalling the bike and looking like a fool at an intersection because i forgot to 'clunk' it into first after stopping.

Now, if you are going to slap it into 1st gear at 20 mph .... thats a different story.
Dupo, you're right. I oversimplified. I often use first when in line at a stop sign, and everyone is crawling along, the cars in front of me go go-stop, go-stop, I try to keep my feet off the ground and crawl along quietly in first gear, mostly with the clutch as well to keep it from chugging when going very slow.

What Easy Rider meant to emphasize was, when you're just slowing down to go around a corner, you definitely don't need to switch to first gear.

Maybe we could agree on that first gear is fine at "brisk walking speed" or below, and has not much use for speeds faster than walking.

PS oops, off topic - Whole Foods Market, been there once , some good stuff, but the prices..... :blush:

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
davtnn

try (English) Typhoo Tea (great stuff .... very strong tea)

I work my way down the gears ... let each one have their say ... and first gear is generally a no-no above 5 mph...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for tea tip davtnn...

...I'm a coffee man myself but I'll pass it along. Where does one find Typhoo?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
PS oops, off topic - Whole Foods Market, been there once , some good stuff, but the prices..... :blush:
This is great.
Most other forums I frequent tend to wander off topic and then ramble on, seemingly forever.
NOT HERE though.
When somebody starts an off-topic thread it wanders BACK to motorcycles !!!

:roll: :lol: