Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
5th_bike

I changed the oil and oil filter in my 2005 GZ250 right after I had brought it home, because it was two years old. A few remarks and a question, after reading the above:

1) A GZ250 oil change is Messy, to put it mildly. At first, after removing the plug, the oil flows straight down in a thick beam, but in the trickle phase after that it goes sideways onto the left exhaust pipe. If unsufficiently removed, it will temporarily give a burning smell later on.

2) A GZ250 oil filter change is even Messier. (BTW the torque on the three little bolts of the oil filter cap I measured at 7 lbs/ft when unscrewing them). During removal of the cap, a big puddle of oil comes sploosh from underneath and all over the motor and parts underneath it, including the right exhaust pipe...

Then, the question: why should it be necessary to remove the oil sump cap (I assume =the part on the bottom that the drain plug is in the middle of) for an oil change ? I only removed the drain plug and let the oil leak out (moving the motor left and right gives a little extra old oil) - I didn't know the oil sump cap needs removal too, and for what. If it does, please let me know, if it doesn't, please just ignore, thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

5th bike, good question about the oil plug plate. Two reasons might be for a visual inspection of the innards and an easy fix(just replace it)if you cross thread or damage the plug and threads in the plate. Of course I tend to guess a lot too.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Then, the question: why should it be necessary to remove the oil sump cap (I assume =the part on the bottom that the drain plug is in the middle of) for an oil change ?
It isn't. Where did you get the idea that it is? IIRC, there is something in there that is supposed to be inspected/cleaned every 15K miles or so (too lazy to go get the manual).

As for the messy-ness of the oil change, it should be MUCH LESS messy the second time! :roll:

It helps to have the bike upright instead of on the side stand.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
Jaime

You don't have to remove the oil plug plate for an oil change. There's a plain filter inside that can be cleaned or replaced, but it isn't done often.
As I saw some oil around that plate, I thought that it could be leaking from there, supposing that an inexperienced mechanic unbolted it for any reason. O_o

By the way, Water Warrior's suggestions are right too.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
It helps to have the bike upright instead of on the side stand.
I just hold mine upright until the oil stops draining. You need to do that to get all the old oil out any way. As soon as I take the drain plug out I pull the bike to the upright position. I don't get oil all over the bottom.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Didn't some really nice member write a "how-to" for an oil change?

I'm pretty sure it's on here somewhere... :cool: