Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
rusty rider

Re: Dumped my GZ in traffic

Not much of a warrior if you are thinking about this months financials whilst heading into Mr. Suburban's Tow hitch.

With this months financials I may be looking for Mr. Suburban's Tow Hitch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I know we'll all be rookies forever in Easy's eyes,
Just until we get to the point where you start to catch up to me in the number of years riding....... :shocked: (think about that one for a minute).

Hopefully long before that happens, it will stop being fun to rib you about your rookyness. :biggrin:
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I'd have to live to be 108 and I think you'd have to take some kind of interstellar space ride. Let me check with Jonathan and the Star Trek boys and get back to you.

I generally never get beyond the newb stage. I've been playing the piano for thirty eight years and I still suck. It's a role I'm comfortable with. Suck at racquetball, still a "6" skier, gave up completely on golf, can't catch and can't throw. Best marathon time? 4:45.

Plus, I appreciate the tips from you experts. The jump start and others have already saved me plenty of grief. Wish they had something like this for the piano or skiing.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'd have to live to be 108 and I think you'd have to take some kind of interstellar space ride. Let me check with Jonathan and the Star Trek boys and get back to you.
You will start to catch up when I stop riding.........and breathing.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
TXtwowheeler

Thanks, guys for the encouragement. Riding the rest of the way to work that morning, and then back home, I went in and out of being a little uncomfortable. This morning on the way to work, I was too cold and sleepy to think about it. On the way home this afternoon, again I was a little timid riding, but not in a scared stiff way but more of a healthy respect for the possible negative outcomes.

As for the aches, I went and hopped in some nice 68 degree spring water this morning, and got in close to a mile of swimming before going to work. It was chilly getting on the bike, and then into the water, and then out of the water to get dressed for work in an open-air shower area. It helped loosen me up,but still, about half my moving parts are a little sore and achy, but not too badly. I'm 36, so I can still bounce and roll around without a trip to the ER, but I do feel sore today.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
maryes7

Wow I am glad you are ok.... I was having the same problem with my shifter. I use synthetic oil and it helped alot. I also use a multi purpose spray lubricant on the shift lever about every month and this helps the most. I just spray some on the shifter and shift it up and down. I was about ready to get rid of my bike because of this problem and I felt like it was putting me in danger. The shifter stuck on me in traffic and I wasn't able to get out of first. Not good... I now oil it and I love my bike. I ride it daily to work. Hats off to you for getting back on... You had a angel looking after you.. Hope this advice helps.............
Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
CANDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
I think my Highland 2 suit looks more like a Jeff Gorden racing suit than a power ranger suit. I mean that is Macho! But I try not to focus on how I look while riding...the warriors view thing again. :cool:
no offense to jeff gordon fans,but i think i'd rather look like a power ranger :biggrin:
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #18
TXtwowheeler

Filters came in the mail, and I got some 10-40 synthetic. This weekend I'll change oiland filter, and lube the shift lever. Since the wreck though, it has been shifting just fine. Just a little flick of the ankle, and it's up in the next gear. Oil change is due anyway. Thanks to everybody for advice and support.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtwowheeler
Yes it was a total rookie mistake to get distracted like that. I didn't mean that I was actually looking at the clutch or the shift lever... I just wasn't paying attention to traffic. I was kicking it like hell trying to get up in 4th and I don't know where I was looking, but it was not to the cars in front of me. The other big rookie mistake was the panic braking when I actually had enough room to stop without locking it up. No offense taken, by the way. I posted my big dummy moment on here so y'all could rub it in a little and maybe shame me into better habits.

Yes, I did take an MSF course before I got my license, and the really funny thing was that just before I dumped it, I was thinking to myself, "I'm glad I took that course, because the things I learned in there really saved me from...(*&%$#%))(% oh shit."

It's been twelve hours and I'm beginning to get pretty sore. That hurts worse than anybody here calling me out for being a dumbass. Bring it! I deserve it.
Yup it was a rookie mistake. You let your concentration wander. Experienced riders also do the same thing so don't feel so bad. Glad there was no serious body damage to you or the bike. Ride Safe eh !!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
TXtwowheeler

It's been a week and a day since dumping in traffic. My left hand still has a pretty sore knuckle, and my right hand is pretty weak and wrist has lost some range of motion, and is tender. I think it's getting better though. There's not any swelling left, and I think it's just bruised and banged up in there. I'm not riding nervous any more, I don't have any more hard shifting. My sense of awareness is heightened, and I intend to make it last. :2tup: