Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #51
osborne

OK.....the spring and parts shown in the last post are there on mine. But the more I look at my carb and choke cable, the more it seems like its working the opposite of what is should be. Pulling the choke lever back towards me...{giving it choke}....is retracting the plunger out of the carb. Applying choke should push it in, shouldn't it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #52
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborne View Post
OK.....the spring and parts shown in the last post are there on mine. But the more I look at my carb and choke cable, the more it seems like its working the opposite of what is should be. Pulling the choke lever back towards me...{giving it choke}....is retracting the plunger out of the carb. Applying choke should push it in, shouldn't it?
Nope.It right.when you pull the lever you are pulling the cable witch pulls the plunger out of the bore & enrichen's the mixture so the bike can start cold.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #53
osborne

Well........as much as I hate to even consider this, Im thinking about putting it in a shop. I can usually fix a rainy day but this has me baffled. Both springs in the choke line are there and appear to be working correctly.....yet it returns to the off position by itself. starts up with no choke, no throttle and runs high Rs for about 6 or 7 miutes. Then it winds down and tries to stall. Feathering the throttle at that point will give me another few minutes but eventually it dies out. Then it wont start for hours.rebuilt the carb and had it off for close inspection at least 6 times now. New spark plug, new battery, new fuel, new petcock. Can anyone think of something I haven't tried yet?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #54
5th_bike

Vacuum hose is OK? (It opens the petcock on "RUN" and "RES". )

Same behavior when you have the petcock on "PRI"?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #55
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Vacuum hose is OK? (It opens the petcock on "RUN" and "RES". )

Same behavior when you have the petcock on "PRI"?
No. The prime position does not need vacuum to open the petcock for fuel flow. It is a direct flow from the tank through the petcock and to the carb. The prime position is mainly used to prime the carb after a long time of no riding and the fuel in the carb dries up. If you do need to prime the carb after a long sit in the garage be sure to put the petcock back in the run position after the bike starts.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #56
Fawlty

WW. I think 5th was asking the OP if the symptoms are the same if the petcock is on 'prime' If not then the vacuum hose could be kinked, obstructed or not routed correctly. Maybe?

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #57
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty View Post
WW. I think 5th was asking the OP if the symptoms are the same if the petcock is on 'prime' If not then the vacuum hose could be kinked, obstructed or not routed correctly. Maybe?
That's what I get for multitasking. I have trouble reading, drinking coffee and typing.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #58
osborne

My old petcock...{oem}....failed. I changed it out for a new, gravity feed unit that does not use the vacuum line. That line is now blocked off. I posted a link to the ebay auction for the new one back on page 1 or 2 of this thread.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #59
tnastvogel

I'm new and I didn't read the entire thread, but I gathered that you took the carb apart a bunch of times and replaced a ton of other stuff. I'm curious if you took out the pilot screw? If you did, check to make sure that you installed the spring, washer and o-ring back in the correct sequence (o-ring should be at the bottom of the hole, then washer, then spring).

Also (again, not having read the entire thread), I'm curious if you checked the condition of the needle valve up close. Maybe just put a new one in to be on the safe side if that's something you haven't already done, and check the needle valve seat.

Maybe also check the long vacuum hose that runs down the intake side of the carb to see if it's clogged or something.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:23 AM   #60
Water Warrior 2

Just reread this entire thread. A bit baffling to say the least. The one thought that keeps popping up in my head is.....is the choke really off. Is there is chance the choke is partial on inside the carb and unaffected by the choke cable? Maybe something is stuck and not allowing the guts of the carb to perform properly. This would account for the easy start and high RPM during warm up and an eventual shut down with the engine warmed up.
Bear in mind I have little to no carb experience but this seems worth investigating.