Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #271
bwader

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Like the sound of a big bore kit. Bumping up the displacement another 100 cc's or so would be a huge difference. The added displacement even in mild tune for reliability would likely allow for another tooth on the front sprocket and a couple less on the rear. Without going overboard this combo could be very nice for cruising the highways and give a longer, more powerful pull in every gear. But here is a less than great thought. Would the 250+ develope a vibration typical of larger thumpers ??
It would be nice to have a slightly bigger engine on the gz. Funny thing that is common with Itistheride forum and other scooter forums. People get a 50cc scooter and then get a BBK to make it 80cc's or 100cc's or even put a 150cc engine on a 50cc scooter body. They start going around 30-35mph maybe 40mph max then able to hit 40-45mph+ with big bore kits and taller gearing.

Then next 125cc upgrade to 150cc engine, then 150's scooters upgrade to 170-180cc's and go from 50-60+mph to 60-65mph+. Along with taller final gears as scooter are belt driven automatic CVT.

Then it comes to the 250cc class. About all these can do 60-70mph+ and then there are still people who are always wanting a little more power. Same thing, put in a bigger engine and taller gearing. There is always someone who gets something and wants to make it faster or better. I just like to do small things that make it better. I ordered the 16t sprocket myself and its a simple upgrade. I liked having a windshield on the scooter I had, I'd like to get one for my GZ for a better ride and less bugs hitting me.

I understand if you like what you ride and all you want is a little more power and top speed then you want to save money on a big bore kit and sprockets are inexpensive on bikes.

On Chinese scooters cheap as they are, you can buy a big bore kit for a $100-200 or so and put in taller final drive gears for 60-80 bucks if you press them yourself. So in that way it makes sense to spend a little more money on an upgrade like that.

Point is sometimes its just easier to trade up to the next engine size up, get a bigger bike that's ready to go stock for more power and speed. Which is why I got the GZ, its a good small bike and a big upgrade to any Chinese scooter. I don't mind tinkering a little but the Chinese scooter route is waaaay too much.Why buy something cheap just to have to upgrade better parts? Because its a lot of times cheaper to do that than buy a better name brand. Plus some people just like to upgrade

I just had to say all this, getting back on topic. A simple sprocket change to stress the engine less is a great idea. Can't wait to do mine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #272
bwader

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Found this video on how to do it on the TU250X but its all pretty much the same.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #273
bwader

I got to say, the 16t is smoother, tamer sounding. Got my digital tach. and the rpms are definitely lower in every gear. 1st gear at about 20mph indicated is 6,000rpms I didn't want to push it further.
I left for home after 11pm so it was too dark to tell exactly what rpms where unless under a street light at the right time.

I concur with everyone else it broadens out the range of the gears, I felt before even letting the engine rev for a few seconds before shifting it still seemed short time in between gear shifts. And I am gentle on the throttle.

When I adjusted the chain after putting the 16T on, for those who asked earlier I didn't have to tighten to much, maybe a full turn or so. I had to loosen up the chain and kick it in forward to get enough slack for the bigger gear.
I went from 57mpg to 64.8mpg going the same exact routes and riding the same. I ride at 40-45mph when I can or lowest rpms and now in 5th I can go as far as 3,400 to 4,000 rpms or around 35mph more or less. Mainly flat roads except for some inclines and declines I don't call "hills".
I can still hit 70mph gps as before just got to be in 4th and rev it there then go to 5th.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #274
Water Warrior 2

Isn't it fun to actually kick your bike for a good reason?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #275
bwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Isn't it fun to actually kick your bike for a good reason?
It actually was nice! LOL

Old 09-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #276
steelpix

Good write-up! I just ordered the new 16 tooth sprocket. I'll try it out and report back. I can always go back to the old sprocket if I'm not happy.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #277
golem

Ok, so I installed a new front sprocket on my geezee and I simply don't recognize it anymore ! I was supposed to lose some speed ? Well , not in my case. It use to plateau at 60 mph and now I can easily reach 70mph !! I don't know why but I sure am happy about it. I also like the way the gears goes waaay better !
All in all, I recommend this mod to any owner of a gz even though YMMV. Thanks jonathan !

On a side note, would the bike benefit from a smaller back sprocket?

Last edited by golem; 07-27-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #278
beefjerky

This looks great and I want to do this mod to my 2000 GZ

Which sprocket should I pick from these?

Apologies if this is covered in the thread already.

Last edited by beefjerky; 09-22-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #279
golem

I don't know if this is going to help you but this is the one I got :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #280
Water Warrior 2

You will know soon enough. Install the sprocket.