Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
cokebear

Bouncing at speed.

So I bought my 2008 GZ a month ago and it had been setting in storage for almost a year. I've been able to get it to run really well after running 2 tanks of 93 octane gas and a bottle of B-12 and cleaning up the spark plug, changing the oil, etc..

Here is the problem I'm having now. When I get up to speed (40-45+MPH) I sometimes have a bouncy front end. It doesn't happen all the time and seems to be some type of harmonic thingy. I know the bike has been involved in some sort of trouble in the front because there is a scrape on the fender and some small scrapes on the controls and muffler on the right side of the bike.

So I started looking at the front wheel and tire. I made sure there was still a wheel weight on the front rim. I took off the front brake and lifted the front tire off the ground. The wheel turns freely and there is no side to side wobble and seems to be in balance. What I did notice was if you look at the tire/wheel from the side (90º) while it is spinning the tire seems like it has a bulge or a high side/low side. I was thinking this could be from sitting low on tire pressure for so long that it may have permanently deformed the tire.

Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
alantf

2008? That's a six year old tyre. Apart from what you've told us, it's likely that the tyre's lost it's "stickiness". Looks like you need to bite the bullet and replace the tyre. While you're at it, you may need to replace the rear tyre as well (for the same reason as above). remember - the only thing between you and the asphalt is the tyres.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Oh yeah. 6 year old tires will hurt you. Bulging or out of round tires will hurt you. Spend the money now before you get hurt. The age of a tire will always trump the condition of hardly worn tread on the tire. Be safe.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
cokebear

Tire is ordered. Shinko is supposed to be here Wednesday. Getting it mounted, tube replaced, lifetime balancing still less than $100. Well worth it to me.

The rear is going to have to wait a little bit longer. No issues with it right now but I've had to replace the battery and alternator on my cage this week too (another $350 or so) so maybe next month I can swing the rear.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
golem

Can you give some info on the size of tires you chose etc please ?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
cokebear

I looked at my receipt and it wasn't listed so I will have to give you the specifics after I go back to them and have it mounted. My local cycle shop had a Shinko section in their catalogs and went from the stock size and even price matched a web site. I believe this is the same tire. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ33087 But don't hold me to that until I know for sure.

JPCycles site allows you to chose your bike to make sure it will fit and this one does.

Last edited by cokebear; 09-15-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
cokebear

Tire didn't come in today. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
cokebear

Thumbs Up

That is the tire I had ordered. Shop mounted it and it's already back on a ready to roll.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
cokebear

Oh No

Managed to bind the speedo cable like an idiot. Going to get one at a salvage yard in a little while. Should have removed the cable from the hub when I was changing out the tire. Live and learn I guess.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
alantf

Dunno about America, but over here a new speedo cable isn't that expensive. When mine broke, a new one cost €24 (around $36) Probably better to order a new one, rather than used, which may be corroded.