Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 10-22-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Winter gas.

Yup, it's that time of the year again. Winter gas provides a little less performance and economy. Hmm, so why have it or be forced to use it all winter? Simple answer as I recently read is that the formulation is changed slightly to make it ignite better at lower temps during start up. Nor is it more environmentally friendly than the regular stuff.

I really find this hard to agree with. Any other doubters??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Yup, it's that time of the year again. Winter gas provides a little less performance and economy. Hmm, so why have it or be forced to use it all winter? Simple answer as I recently read is that the formulation is changed slightly to make it ignite better at lower temps during start up. Nor is it more environmentally friendly than the regular stuff.

I really find this hard to agree with. Any other doubters??
I call BS!!!

Old 10-24-2018, 12:50 AM   #3
gzgeezer

I think it’s true it’s the vapor pressure of the fuel, they do the same in the US the winter gas is more volatile so it evaporates better at icy temps. Modern fuel inj needs good evap to spray right, and I hear it’s super cold up there!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgeezer View Post
I think it’s true it’s the vapor pressure of the fuel, they do the same in the US the winter gas is more volatile so it evaporates better at icy temps. Modern fuel inj needs good evap to spray right, and I hear it’s super cold up there!
Not too cold in my neck of the woods. I left that type of weather after retiring and moving here to Squamish B.C.. We get some temps below freezing but not for long generally. Not much snow compared to the surrounding mountains. Mostly rain in winter with some freezing rain just for excitement.

We have to use winter tires 6 months of the year on the highways just in case of bad weather. It can happen fast. Oddly enough in Alberta with real winter snow, ice, very cold temps etc we can get away with all season tires all year round. That is really a retarded idea. Sure glad I was eventually taught about real winter tires and ice tires.