Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
MLGTIB

Possible new to me bike

Hey guys, I found on craigslist a 78 gs750 in mint condition and the guy is asking $1200 for it. What do you guys think. Here is a link to the listing. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mc ... 75810.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Possible new to me bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGTIB
Hey guys, I found on craigslist a 78 gs750 in mint condition and the guy is asking $1200 for it. What do you guys think. Here is a link to the listing. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mc ... 75810.html
Everything listed for sale is always in "mint condition".

Old bikes are often hard to find parts for and a 32 year old bike is bound to need things right along.

If you are a skilled mechanic or a serious amateur, the go for it but I think the price is about 400 too high......at least.......and I think it would NOT be a wise buy for the "average joe".

Only a fool buys something like this without seeing and riding it. :biggrin:
Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
music man

Not only that, any bike that old, and with points on it no less, is gonna require constant "tinkering" to keep it running good, and unless you are pretty handy with a wrench, that means paying someone every five minutes to "tinker" with it for you.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
MLGTIB

I would not buy anything without looking at it and riding it first. I want to go and take a look and figure it out. Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGTIB
I would not buy anything without looking at it and riding it first. I want to go and take a look and figure it out. Thanks for the advise.
Good for you. The bike isn't old enough to be considered collectable; not for most people anyway. When thinking about his asking price, consider that it probably only cost a few dollars more than that when it was new; my guess: about $1800.

I'm guessing he paid more than it was really worth when he got it.......but that should not be your problem !!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

The age of the bike aside, I recommend you make a list of The Things I Wish My Next Bike Had/Could Do.

This would include things like:

1) tackle hills and highways (probably have that covered with the 750)
2) tell me how much gas is in the tank.
3) tell me the rev per min
4) Not have a chain.
5) Not have a carb.
6) Not have a choke.
7) Have decent saddlebags/luggage
8) Have decent seat.
9) Have a cruising range of xxx miles.
10) Not be/or be aircooled.
11) Cost less to insure - or at least about the same.
12) Weigh less or about the same.

Etc.

Naturally, your list would be unique. Without such a list, it's impossible to make an informed decision on what bike is best for you. And, for the record, I wouldn't buy anything made in 1978, even if it was a "collectible." But my main interest is transportation and fun, not mechanics, mods and tinkering.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
dhgeyer

Engines and brakes have come a long way in 30 years. And it will be high maintenance, guaranteed. You may have trouble finding tires and parts. It will almost certainly need new rubber. Even if the tread is good, you want to know how old they are. More than five years, and they lose some of their traction.

Some people really like those old bikes, and I must admit they fascinate me a lot. They turn heads wherever they go if they're in good cosmetic condition. I've never bought one, though, and probably never will. Only you can decide if that's the "package" you want.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
This would include things like:
13) While checking the above 12 items against the bikes on the floor......you will see something that you fall in love with that matches virtually NONE of your items......causing you to tear up the list. :biggrin:

It doesn't hurt to try though. Kind of like looking for the perfect woman. :crackup
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
MLGTIB

You guys all have great points. I am going to take them into account. The way its looking unless I fall in love with it right away I won't buy it. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the feedback. :2tup:
Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #10
frempath

With a bike of that era consider if you want to wrench the bike yourself as finding someone who is both will AND capable of working on the bike will be a problem. As with cars of then vs. now, you will find they require more maintenance, but are more capable of being worked on by the owner.

With that said, the GS series engine will run for a long, long time. With properly done maintenance, almost indefinitely.

My other motorcycle forum is http://thegsresources.com/. There you will find a wealth of knowledge, downloadable information, and a rather friendly bunch if you ask rather than demand, especially towards those new to the GS.

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90