Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: GZ125!?

Good question. Here's what I remember. It was in front of Willard Straight Hall at Cornell University. The road ends there (but perhaps you can turn left. We were actually riding on the sidewalk. My buddy did not have a helmet (he might have been ticketed for that.) We went to court to fight our tickets (I think I was making the claim that since I was on the sidewalk I should have been able to go in either direction.) I believe we both lost. I don't think alcohol was involved (although I wouldn't rule it out.) I'll take a look at a campus map. Although it's probably changed by now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

I took a look. They've blocked off the former dead-end so you can't drive on it anymore. It's pedestrians only. I suspect I was going in the "wrong" direction on the sidewalk but the street was actually a two way dead-end with a loop in front of the building back then.

History Note: 1969 Parent's Weekend, black students took over Willard Straight Hall to protest a burning cross that was lit the night before in front of black women's coop. The perimeter of the building was defended by members of the SDS (Students for a Democratic Society - lefty group headed at one time by Tom Hayden.) A few of the protesters left and returned armed. They ultimately negotiated a peaceful surrender but a photo of them coming out of the building with guns was widely circulated and won a Pulitzer Prize for an AP photographer. By the time I got there, a mere 7 years later, most of the freshman were Young Republicans.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
dentheman

To see a new GZ125 (actually a Marauder) go to www.globalsuzuki.com.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
a new GZ125 (actually a Marauder)
Marauder is the European name for the GZ. It comes with a 3D "Marauder" logo on the tank. I've seen one or two over here, & the only discernable way to tell it from the 250 is that it has only one pipe out of the engine. :2tup:
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I know we're talking racing tuned, & serious money, but the other night I was watching the 125 cc class racing, & the speeds they got up to was unbelievable. I wonder what would be needed for their mechanics to turn the GZ250 into a drag racer. :crackup :popcorn:
Not a problem. Easy way is to jack up the gas cap and install a V-Max under it. :lol:

Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

A few days ago we saw a couple 125 scooters headed north on the Alaska highway. Fully loaded with camping gear and extra gas cans.
A while back(1975 or so)I saw a coast to coast rider on a 125 kawasaki headed to the Rockies at full throttle in a rain storm. Everything covered with green garbage bags, including the rider.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
T-Selwyn-Davis

I ride a 125, I dont really have any issues with speed, On the motorway i can quite easily achieve 80 if there is a wind behind me. Bearing in mind i only weigh 8 stone, thats abt 112 pounds to you Americans!
The restrictions mean that this is all i can ride until I'm 21. i think i made the right choice as the maruader has the best of both worlds looks chunky yet returns good MPG, people are often surprised when i tell them its a 125!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Selwyn-Davis
I ride a 125
The restrictions mean that this is all i can ride until I'm 21.
WRONG! I still ride on a British licence, here in Spain, & I've just renewed my licence, so I'm up on all the English regs. If you take your test on a 125cc, that's all you can EVER ride. If you take your test on a 250cc you need wait only 2 years before you can move up to ANY size bike. There's extra regs for over 21 yrs old, but what I've just told you is good for up to 21.

The leaflet INS57P is a bit ambiguous. It says "Learner riders can ride motorcycles with an engine size of up to 125cc and a power output of up to 11kW (14.6bhp)"
It then goes on to say that riders under 21 can take 2 types of test :-
(1) category A1, which allows you to ride bikes up to 125cc
(2) category A, which allows you to ride up to 25kW, & entitles you to ride bigger bikes after 2 years.
What it DOESN'T say, is how you're going to take a test for larger bikes when you can only practice on a 125cc :??:
If you need any further clarification, phone 0870 240 0009
Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Selwyn-Davis
I ride a 125
The restrictions mean that this is all i can ride until I'm 21.

If you need any further clarification, phone 0870 240 0009
That is part of the test. You have to prove patience while playing telephone tag for 45 minutes.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #20
T-Selwyn-Davis

Hmmmmmmmmm....

The DirectGov website says different:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022568

I quote:
"Full motorcycle licence

The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc. There are two types of full motorcycle licence:

* a light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW
* a standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 kilometres per hour (km/h per hour)..

After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike."

I have a standard motorcycle licence which I passed just over a year ago when I was 18 so I dont even have to wait till my 21st, I can ride anything around this time next year!