Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
5th_bike

Piece of commute, with new tach

My 25 mile commute is blessed with a few nice twisty rural back roads, they go up and down, left and right, my Suzuki GZ250 is just purring with joy and happiness.

This morning I made a short movie of my new tach, shifting up from 3rd to 5th gear, and the road, on one of those rural parts:

Apologies for the shaky camera when going over 40-45 mph. It's the wind...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Cool vid.

Question.

How did you rotate your tac? Did fabricate a new bracket or figure out how to rotate it inside the "cup" (or whatever it's technical term is)?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
Cool vid.

Question.

How did you rotate your tac? Did fabricate a new bracket or figure out how to rotate it inside the "cup" (or whatever it's technical term is)?

Thanks.
Magnar:

Thank you.

The tach is not rotated, it is "as is" from the box. I attached it to the bolt that holds the (black bracket of the) right turn signal assembly. That bolt is visible only on the underside of the solid steering stem plate.

Unscrew bolt, hold tach bracket (bottom) and signal assembly (top) in place, replace bolt, tighten (not too tight - it's aluminum after all), done.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Got it. Do you have a link to that particular tach or at least the make/model? The one in Quimrider's post is dfferent from yours and sits at an angle once it's mounted using the stock bracket. I'd prefer to have one that wasn't at an angle and didn't have to fabricate a bracket for.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
Got it. Do you have a link to that particular tach or at least the make/model? The one in Quimrider's post is dfferent from yours and sits at an angle once it's mounted using the stock bracket. I'd prefer to have one that wasn't at an angle and didn't have to fabricate a bracket for.

Thanks.
The angle is due to the mounting at the bolt that holds the "turn signal and neutral lights" assembly. I used another bolt.

Mine is from Dennis Kirk part # 40-7646 for $69.95 plus $6.95 shipping.
Manufacturer Part #: 160428

try this link, otherwise google dennis kirk and search for the part number.

I got their last one, three four weeks ago, and indeed two weeks later they had none left. And now they say they have one left. Hm.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Sarris

Tach

The one in Quims post has a little bigger dial face and is a bit less expensive than the Dennis Kirk tach. It also can be mounted to the turnsignal bracket bolt to straighten out the face. They all look like the were manufactured by the same Taiwan (Chinese?) manufacturer and have the same basic mounting bracket.

Mine was $56 +/- shipped from Powersports Outlet as listed in Quims post. It works great, is in stock, and arrived in 3 days.

FYI

:2tup:
Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
5th_bike

Re: Tach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
The one in Quims post has a little bigger dial face and is a bit less expensive than the Dennis Kirk tach. It also can be mounted to the turnsignal bracket bolt to straighten out the face. They all look like the were manufactured by the same Taiwan (Chinese?) manufacturer and have the same basic mounting bracket.

Mine was $56 +/- shipped from Powersports Outlet as listed in Quims post. It works great, is in stock, and arrived in 3 days.

FYI

:2tup:
Sorry, but the brackets are different - the one in Quim's post is more or less triangular, and mine is more like a straight bar with kind of a "Y" underneath the tach. The turn signal bracket bolt sits further back than the signal lights bolt. But it looks like both tachs could be mounted more or less straight, there. For details also please see my posts and pictures at the end of Quim's thread.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Sarris

Bracket

Quote:
They all look like the were manufactured by the same Taiwan (Chinese?) manufacturer and have the same basic mounting bracket.
The brackets, though physically shaped a bit different, exit at the 90 degree point of the tach and have one mounting bolt hole. They are basically the same.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
5th_bike

Re: Bracket

Quote:
Quote:
They all look like the were manufactured by the same Taiwan (Chinese?) manufacturer and have the same basic mounting bracket.
The brackets, though physically shaped a bit different, exit at the 90 degree point of the tach and have one mounting bolt hole. They are basically the same.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the language lesson !

US English, sometimes.... :??:
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Those of you with real tachs...

...any real advantage over the one between your ears? I seen them (and gas gauges!) on other (bigger) bikes, but then I never used one whn I drove a standard either. I think I pretty much shift by the sound and the feel of the bike and I only look down at the speedo and such to see if I'm speeding.