Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

REI

Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) is a sort of candy store for the outdoorsy types, backpackers, kayakers, my daughter. They don't sell motorcycle stuff, but any excuse to get on the bike works for me. The one in Santa Ana is about 26 miles roundtrip give or take. Starts out on the same backroads I use to get pretty much everywhere, then up through though some hills, canyons, turns, twists, then down Newport Ave the rest of the way.

They carry some stuff I use on my feet and boxes of Gu are on sale, so it won't be a complete waste of time. But the main reason I'm going, besides the excuse to get in some miles, is to pay for whatever goodies my oldest decides she's gotta have.

This is my first time on the bike since returniing from a 6-day trip to NYC. I'm a little concerend I've gotten rusty, but once enroute, I'm actually so comfortable I need to remind myself to stay alert and watch for trouble. Riding is a lot more enjoyable now than when I started. Shifting, braking, starting off, etc. are all pretty much automatic now. I can focus on the road and the ride a lot more and I've lost all the jitters that go with not being familiar with the equipment. Got down to the store in about a half hour or less, met up with Karen, did some shopping and even had a little Labor day hot dog picnic out front. I found a black backpack that is designed with a padded slot that I can take my lappie into work in, so it wasn't a total lark.

On the way back I stopped and took a couple of pictures. Figured out how to fish my camera out of my jacket and snap a photo without taking my gloves off. Ran out of gas in damn near the same place I did last time, but... this time I reached down, felt around a bit, and was able to switch it to reserve WITHOUT.... STOPPING... THE BIKE. Starting to feel like a big boy!

I've crossed the 500 mile threshold. Not sure what this means, but I know they ask you which side of it you are on when you take the MSF. Having a lot of fun and enjoying the road.

[pbss:70ebr9a5]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/REI/?action=view&current=4348f43b.pbw[/pbss:70ebr9a5]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: REI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
this time I reached down, felt around a bit, and was able to switch it to reserve WITHOUT.... STOPPING... THE BIKE. Starting to feel like a big boy!
Congratulations on passing that treshold, and Welcome to the club of in-ride-to-reserve switchers ! :plus1:
Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Fifth. And thanks for reading my pathetic ride reports. I'm doing the best I can with what I've got to work with.

Were you able to check out my sweet slideshow (did the link work?) I've been pestering Patrick for a means of embedding them so they show up in the post, but so far, radio silence.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I actually looked into it, and it would take a little bit of "figuring out" on the BBCode part. Just looking at the URL and the way Photobucket references their apps, I think they use a different hostname instead of just pointing everything to "www".photobucket.com like Youtube does with their domain links.

:yawn:

The BBCode uses a variable replacement setup to recode everything and resubmit the embed code to the site, which, like I said, will take some deeper investigation to get it just right.

We'll see.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Not really a huge deal, but I think the photobucket type slide shows are more fun that a series of pasted in shots. I suspect you are one of those guys where if I suggest that maybe you can't figure it out, you will show me just how wrong I am.

But seriously, I think, for the 100 or so active users you have on here, we are all spoiled rotten. Ride your bike, the world will keep spinning without the aid of my totally awesome REI snapshots.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
I suspect you are one of those guys where if I suggest that maybe you can't figure it out, you will show me just how wrong I am.
Dick.

[pbss:1jgp4mx4]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/REI/?action=view&current=4348f43b.pbw[/pbss:1jgp4mx4]
Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Dude, this is one of the few times I have literally laughed out loud whilst on the Internet. 2:59 am? You got it bad.

Feels pretty good, huh? Maybe a little bit dirty...?

(Re my comment, it takes one to know one.)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
patrick_777

Don't forget that I'm 2 hours ahead of you. :biggrin:
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
5th_bike

Quote:
Were you able to check out my sweet slideshow (did the link work?) I've
Sorry I did't even try - but now it's scrolling across the screen - you got it made ! (or, that is to say, Patrick did it!)