Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Cook's Corner, Trabuco Canyon, Orange County

Cook's is named after Andrew Jackson Cook, the guy that owned the place when it first went up in 1884. The ramshackle building sits on the corner of Santiago Canyon and Live Oak Canyon Roads (thus the "Corner" part of the name.) In 1926, Andy's son, "E.J.", turned it into a restaurant. In 1970, a motorcycle accessories dealer bought the place and turned it into a biker bar. It's pretty famous around these parts, not sure if anyone's heard of it elsewhere.

[pbss:pu73c7rs]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/CooksCorner/?action=view&current=1914bd57.pbw[/pbss:pu73c7rs]

Cook's is located at the far end of one of the most (biker) travelled motorcycle roads in SoCal, Santiago Canyon Road. It's a 12-13 mile hill and canyon run with no traffic lights, not stop signs, and... it was just repaved. There are some curves and climbs, but nothing too hairy. Speed limit is 55, but 65 is closer to reality.

I'd been down Santiago a couple of times when I first got the bike, once to see if I could handle it, and once on the way back down to the dealer in San Juan Cap. Both times, it was a little intimidating to keep up with car speed on the curves. I was curious to see if the 3-400 miles in between would make a difference.

This time, I was a little more confident on the way out, and a lot more on the way back. Speed rarely dropped below 55 (there are a few hills and one section where the limit drops to 35 for road work) and I was much more relaxed. The way back was actually "fun." I made an effort to focus in on the "press, lean" part of the look, press, lean and roll business and was consciously selecting the outside/inside/outside turn path. Although I did fine, I could tell I have a way to go until I can consider myself experienced. I figure at some point the bike will just feel like an extension of my body and I won't think about any of this stuff - I'll just do it.

Cook's is not an ATGATT kind of a place. This is half helmet and sleeveless tee territory. (The better to see one's tats, my dear.) Mostly Harleys, but also Indians, choppers and even some sport bikes. I took a few pictures. You'll see a lot of them are cut off and not at the best angle because I got a lot of glares when I took out the Sony, so I was shooting somewhat hidden camera style. I guess they don't cotton to tourists on Suzukis around these parts.

A nice quick 45 mile high speed run - an excellent practice drill. I expect this will become my default ride.

Oh... there were no GZ's in the lot. Not even from Lakewood.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Jer

Re: Cook's Corner, Trabuco Canyon, Orange County

Man, I wish I had places like this to ride....

My ride stories wont be anywhere near as exciting.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Moedad

Hey, next time you want to do that run, PM me in advance (if you're that much into planning) and I'll meet you where Chapman ends and Santiago starts. Then we can show those Cook's bikers what bad is all about.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Will do.

BTW, East Santiago Canyon was shut down today. Not sure why.

Also saw a Harley t-bone a pickup creeping into the right lane from the 241 exit. Guy was okay. Looked like some busted lights or reflectors. Must have been going slow or anticipated it. There was a cop right behind the pickup. They were still investigatin' when I came back through a half hour later (although Mr. Harley was gone.) Saw the driver sitting on the side, like he had insurance, registration, or maybe green card issues. I think they were waiting for a tow truck. Sucks to be him.

When we go, you can be the "designated waver." My arm's wore out.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
My ride stories wont be anywhere near as exciting.
Yeah, I don't think anyone will be able to top Farmer Boys...

Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Will do.
When we go, you can be the "designated waver." My arm's wore out.
Me also getting accustomed with biker-waving.
I'm trying to wave before the other biker's waving to me...........ha ha ha.
I did tried to Mopeders, um... no wave back from it, yet