Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Gadzooks Mike

Jordan310, you have the fastest GZ250 that I know about. Without the 16T sprocket, I couldn't do better than about 68mph on a flat with no wind. Since I've got the 16T on, it should go a bit faster, but I doubt I'll hit 80mph on it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Jordan310

I guess I got lucky with my 2007.
I have the sprocket with rubber grommet, am going to be installing a big bore kit later, and still have yet to put the K&N + aftermarket muffler on /w rejet.
Im in the process of shopping for the best pipe and K&N right now. I wish someone could be more helpful with this.

In any case, when the sprocket goes on .. Ill expect to be hitting 80 regularly. =)

Funny. I did the exact opposite as what your supposed to do durring break in.
I rode the bike stock HARD, on the freeways, pushing it, and at HIGH RPMS.
After about 3000 miles on it now, it is still strong, and broken in, but has kept its super pep.

Any thoughts on this?

I cant wait to see what the big bore kit does. Just hope I dont blow up my bike. Lol.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
cleensmoke666

greetings all i just got an 07 250 on june 16 .i really like the bike as i am a new rider ..i wanted to know of good reference for a tach so i can know what idle rpm and redlines are

Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
davidc83

I have a stock 2006 gz250 and I constantly hit 75mph (on the flats, and I did it this morning commuting to work) when I commute to work. I plan on installing the 16T in the near future though. I babied and followed the owners manual during the break in period when I bought mine. I did notice that after I did my Helen Ga ride (1100 miles) that my top end increased from around 72mph to about 80mph. I am happy with the bike, even though I can get near 80mph, I much prefer doing <60mph.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan310
IIm in the process of shopping for the best pipe and K&N right now. I wish someone could be more helpful with this.

In any case, when the sprocket goes on .. Ill expect to be hitting 80 regularly. =)
Nobody makes pipes specifically for the GZ.....or seats either.
Changing either will involve some "non-standard" mods, like welding the pipes.
Most who have done it find that some additional holes in the back-plate gives a satisfactory result. It's quick, easy, cheap and doesn't risk ending up with an ugly mess.

Without the air filter, pipe and carb mods you aren't likely to make it to 80 regularly.......if ever.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Jordan310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
IIm in the process of shopping for the best pipe and K&N right now. I wish someone could be more helpful with this.

Nobody makes pipes specifically for the GZ.....or seats either.
Changing either will involve some "non-standard" mods, like welding the pipes.
Most who have done it find that some additional holes in the back-plate gives a satisfactory result. It's quick, easy, cheap and doesn't risk ending up with an ugly mess.

Without the air filter, pipe and carb mods you aren't likely to make it to 80 regularly.......if ever.
No, not true.
Ive hit 80 Mph on the Los Angeles freeways with the airbox removed, the dtock filter pressed up againt the carb, and a re-jetting.
with the sprocket, a K&N, a new tune/re-jet, a more throaty pipe, and some tuning, Im sure 85 is easily obtainable. With the big bore kit, Im thinking 85-90Mph.

There is one company that makes an aftermarket pipe for the GZ250. See the pther posts.
I opted not to get the pipe because of its price, and went for an 18" shorty instead. Im having it installed when I get a free min.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
No, not true.
Ive hit 80 Mph on the Los Angeles freeways with the airbox removed, the dtock filter pressed up againt the carb, and a re-jetting.

Damn, Jordan, Isn't that pretty much what I said ????? :cuss:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
And I was talking about WITH the 16T sprocket, which with an otherwise stock bike actually REDUCES your top end a bit.

Or let me re-phrase: If you are stock except for the 16T sprocket, you won't exceed 70 mph by much (except down-hill with a tail wind or drafting a big rig!).

I'm sorry if I can't quite keep up with your list of "any day now" mods and which ones are really done.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
Jordan310

Any day now mods?

Here is what I have done.

Rejet on the carb, drilled out muffler, airbox removed /w stock filter open against carb.
Can hit 80Mph.

Have parts for big bore kit, 18" shorty muffler, and 16 tooth sprocket.

When these 3 mods are complete, your telling me that I will lose top end power / speed?
What are you talking about.

If I put the sprocket on today, with a pretty stock, but basic modded bike Im pretty sure it wont slow the bike down. Am I getting you correctly?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
When these 3 mods are complete, your telling me that I will lose top end power / speed?
What are you talking about.

If I put the sprocket on today, with a pretty stock, but basic modded bike Im pretty sure it wont slow the bike down. Am I getting you correctly?
You are kinda dense, aren't you?

Your bike is NOT stock now and will be even LESS stock after the next round of mods.
Thus, what I said about 70 being top end AND losing a little at the top..........
DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU!!! Clear?

I am sorry if my original post sounded like I thought it applied to you. Really I am.

I thought what I said last time was pretty clear:

Quote:
And I was talking about WITH the 16T sprocket, which with an otherwise stock bike actually REDUCES your top end a bit.

Or let me re-phrase: If you are stock except for the 16T sprocket, you won't exceed 70 mph by much (except down-hill with a tail wind or drafting a big rig!).
Do I need to explain further........rephrase it yet again........translate it into Spanish maybe? What ?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #20
Jordan310

Yer being kind of an ass man.
I got ya.