Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Easy...

...I've been practicing (the writing, that is.) Believe it or not, I've actually had a half dozen books published. All quite silly. A sideline my buddy talked me into.

Next time you're on Amazon, look up "You Know You've Reached Middle Age If..."

Re bike size: I think I agree with the general consensus - a GZ is great for around town, but a little light for the freeway. When I get my license I figure I can rent an HD and see if it's worth trading up. I've found the GZ gets up to 50-55 okay but it's really working. On long hills I have to downshift to 4th or I drop down to 40. But I've only ridden it 330miles so far - it seems they get faster after a while?

I think Sarris said that he had a HD and the GZ. That may be where I end up as well.

-Alan.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #12
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Maybe I missed it, but did you say your GZ was brand new? If there's only 330 miles on the engine, you should really make sure you read up on breaking the engine in. There's a small section in the owner's manual (which you can download from this board) and a couple of really good threads about it.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I must say, this introduction has to be one of the best i've read. Welcome to the site Alan.

Btw, i checked out your book on Amazon. Looks like a hoot. I know someone who would enjoy it and i think i will pick up a copy for them!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Re: Thanks Easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
...I've found the GZ gets up to 50-55 okay but it's really working. On long hills I have to downshift to 4th or I drop down to 40. But I've only ridden it 330miles so far - it seems they get faster after a while?
Yes, as it loosens up......and gets "broken in"....it should run a bit better.

By that time, maybe you will have learned to ignore (or actually appreciate) all the ominous noises the thumper makes at higher RPMs.

Mine's approaching 5K miles now and it has no trouble at all making 55, even with the higher gearing of a 16T front sprocket. Above that is a little.....anemic...but it will make 70 if I have enough patience. I find that it will even pull most hills losing only 5mph or less if I get it cranked up to about 65 at the bottom. (I had to leave Illinois to test this part!)

I sometimes forget what it is like to live where one (seemingly) can't get anywhere without using a "freeway". I sometimes go WEEKS without getting on one.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
Jer

Nice to meet you Alan.

That was a great read!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Thanks again...

...for all of the kind words.

Nice to meet you too, Jer! I spend a lot of time in Chicago, and even they bag on Iowans! (Personally, I think they are just jealous.) I love your offer to kick your own ass. So like a Midwesterner: industrious AND polite!

Re, the break-in, Patrick: Yes, it is new. Although I don't trust myself to do anything other than very basic maintenance, I did actually read most of the manual. For example, I memorized 12,19, 25, 37 (shifting points, which work pretty good for me, BTW) and I now know you can't just leave the bike sit for a year and expect to be able and hop on and ride.

But the break-in period is one of those eye rollers - it states, without any hint of humor, that you should only use 1/4 of the throttle for the first 100 miles or so and only 1/2 for the first 500. I don't know about you, but that would limit me to my driveway. Also, how the hell are you supposed to know you've used precisely 1/4 of the throttle?

It also says to "vary" your speed. I think I got an A on that one.

http://www.myspace.com/alanmcorcoran
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Littlethumper

WELCOME TO THE SITE ALAN!
:2tup: That was a great read i ever did here! whew! :lol:

Enjoy your stay, lots of tips and info from the good people here!
Oh, btw, i checked your myspace page but your profile is in private :roll:

Drive safe...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
davtnn

Well i am 63 and i started riding way back when i was 60.. thanks to MSF and a wife with a fist full of life insurance policies i am able to enjoy riding most every day ... thanks for the wonderful post ,,
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
buck-gz

RE: My first nine miles...

What a great intro. WOW!

I have been riding off and on (mostly off) for 35 years. My current bike is the GZ250 and the last was a Honda CM250. At 47 years old I have discovered that I love riding again. The great gas mileage does not hurt either.

One thing I have recently learned from friend who rides a big Yamaha VStar. . . roll off the throttle completely and sqeeze the clutch all the way in before shifing. Makes it real smooth.

Your intro is wonderful. I hope to read more after your first trip to the local biker bar!
"Blood Type A+"
Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Re MySpace...

...yeah, I'm too paranoid to have a completely "public" profile. But if you wanna read it, just "friend me" and you are in!

It's encouraging to read all the posts from guys my age an older... especially the ones that are still alive! Most of the books and "safety" sites are tilted in favor of the "you're gonna die!" camp. My "little thumper" is currently sitting at the dealer waiting for their service depatment to show up (maybe tomorrow.) Morons delivered it without a working left turn signal (did I mention it was brand new?) and, after 350 miles, I decided I better get it fixed before they claimed I broke it.

This, after chargng me $175 or some ridiculous amount, for a "safety" check. (BTW is it common for dealers to load up a $3300 bike with $1600 in taxes, license and BULLSHIT? I used to sell cars and thought I had some balls, but these guys... )

Ennyhoo, I'm anxiously awaiting it's triumphant return to the garage. Ride down to the dealer was nice at least.