Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
fg1234567892000

Engine Ticks While Idling

Just today I noticed a new sound coming from my GZ; a ticking. This only seemed to occur while I was waiting at a stoplight. Either that, or it continued while I was riding but I just couldn't hear it over the engine noise.

Obviously, I can't describe it in any more detail, since it was just a clicking sound, and I'm not looking for a full diagnosis of the problem. I can be realistic. What I am wondering is if anyone thinks this could be serious enough to stop by the mechanic sometime in the near future. Is this normal? I would think not, since I just noticed it; but perhaps I just never paid that close attention to my engine nuances.

Sorry, but it seems like I post new topics here more than I contribute. I appreciate the help from the "experts" though; at least, have more expertise than me! It can be very fun/scary/frustrating being a new rider and not having that solid knowledge base that more seasoned riders have.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Engine Ticks While Idling

It sounds like you might need a valve adjustment if its been more than 5000 kms.A little ticking is better than total silence.If you only hear the ticking when the bike is hot you may need a oil change.

:2tup:

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
fg1234567892000

Hmm. my bike is at about 7200 miles, but the oil was just recently changed (less than 1000 miles ago). Could you explain exactly what a "valve adjustment" is? Is it simple to do, or something I should leave to the professionals?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
blaine

It can be complicated to do If you never done It before, or you don't know your way around a engine.By the sound of your question I would leave It to a professional.It's about a hour labour.Good Luck. :cool:

Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1234567892000
Could you explain exactly what a "valve adjustment" is? Is it simple to do, or something I should leave to the professionals?
It is something that probably should be done by the shop......unless you are real adventurous BUT......at this point, you probably should not panic.

Try searching through the threads in this section for old posts regarding engine ticking. There should be several of them. Summary: it's probably normal and will probably vary some as time goes along; maybe a little louder some days and maybe almost gone others.

If you can't find out whether or not the valves were ever checked, you probably should do it soon......but that doesn't mean tomorrow, or even next week. It might cost you up to 2 hours of shop labor. In my area, that is about $150.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
5th_bike

You could check the valve clearance first, please refer to the user manual pp. 2-4 and 2-5, and if it is out of spec, adjust the valve clearance.

Before this bike I had never checked or adjusted valves, but I got a set of feeler gauges (around $10) to check the clearance. Checked them at 1100 and 4200 miles, they were good. Then at about 6800 miles three of them seemed to need adjustment, so I got the Yamaha valve adjustment kit that Badbob recommended (around $20), and did it. A little scary, but if the subsequent check comes out good - it's one more thing learned. If you don't feel up to doing either checking or adjusting - just have a shop do it.

PS didn't you have a "high idling" problem first, and you fixed it? Maybe, because it idles at less rpm now, ticking is more pronounced - for my bike, that's the case, it ticks loudest at lower rpm.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
fg1234567892000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
PS didn't you have a "high idling" problem first, and you fixed it? Maybe, because it idles at less rpm now, ticking is more pronounced - for my bike, that's the case, it ticks loudest at lower rpm.
You are on the ball there...I did lower the idling and have been adjusting to that sound. However, the ticking did not manifest after I lowered the idling. I also did go back and read a previous thread on the ticking and Easy Rider said his had a tick that sounded worse when hot, but it worked itself out. I noticed the tick comes only when the bike is really warmed up, so I think I will wait this one out a bit, and see what happens. Certainly I don't think I will be too adventurous with a valve adjustment (I had enough fun just messing with the idle and lubing my chain this month) so if it gets worse I will take a trip out to my dealer.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

If you can't find out whether or not the valves were ever checked, you probably should do it soon..... It might cost you up to 2 hours of shop labor.
Single cylinder - should only cost 1 hour labour. :2tup:
Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Single cylinder - should only cost 1 hour labour. :2tup:
You said "should"; I said "might". :cool:

We aren't that far apart and the difference is in how many of them actually need to be adjusted.
It none, an hour should do it.
If 2 or more, it might run over.
My shop charges in 1/4 hour increments but some don't.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
savrip

I have added a video of my ticking. It doesn't seem like it does it until it gets real warmed up. I had it out around the neighborhood yesterday and all seemed well. I took it on a ~10 mile trip and ticking when I get back home. Oil was changed a couple of weeks ago. I'll let the professionals give the advice, but from what I've read so far I think it's a valve adjustment.