Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: My 2007 GZ and new textile jacket

If you will be riding in the Fall up there, you will be thinking of getting more gear - it never ends. Like a warmer jacket and riding pants and heavier gloves, and a windshield, etc. And think about getting a full face helmet for better protection.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
And think about getting a full face helmet for better protection.
Even better - don't get on your motorcycle - That's even better protection. Or is that too extreme? Of course it is, just like some folk on here try to tell you that a full face helmet is the ONLY helmet you should consider wearing. I am SO PISSED OFF with everybody going over the top that I'm convinced that some of these people ought to be sitting knitting in a rocking chair. Up to now I've kept out of the helmet debate but now let me put my two pennorth in. WEAR WHAT YOU'RE HAPPY WITH. I'm happy with a ¾, & it looks like your dad is too, but I bet no one on here is gonna tell you to tell your dad that he shouldn't ride without a full face helmet.

One problem with this site is that SOME folk think that their point of view is the ONLY one. My view is "Do your own thing"

Rant over :neener:
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
And think about getting a full face helmet for better protection.
Even better - don't get on your motorcycle - That's even better protection. Or is that too extreme? Of course it is, just like some folk on here try to tell you that a full face helmet is the ONLY helmet you should consider wearing. I am SO PISSED OFF with everybody going over the top that I'm convinced that some of these people ought to be sitting knitting in a rocking chair. Up to now I've kept out of the helmet debate but now let me put my two pennorth in. WEAR WHAT YOU'RE HAPPY WITH. I'm happy with a ¾, & it looks like your dad is too, but I bet no one on here is gonna tell you to tell your dad that he shouldn't ride without a full face helmet.

One problem with this site is that SOME folk think that their point of view is the ONLY one. My view is "Do your own thing"

Rant over :neener:
:plus1: :rawk:

Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
burkbuilds

Well said alantf :2tup:
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
mrlmd1

I said "THINK" about getting a fullface helmet. There's something wrong with that?
Do you guys even read, or just like to jump on anyone with a different opinion/suggestion that's not yours?
WTF is going on here now? Lighten up.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
SuziQ07

So far so good with the 3/4 helmet...I may feel differently someday and want to switch to a full face. I was concerned as a beginner that I felt almost too enclosed in a full face and I couldn't see and hear things around me. A full face also made me nervous that it could fog or steam up etc; though I know that's not the case. My dad is in his mid-60's and has been riding for years with a 3/4 helmet and no windshield etc. He wears warmer gloves and leather chaps in the colder weather and a perforated leather coat and thinner gloves in the summer. This has worked well for him! He did have a bee in his helmet once that stung him while riding. For me personally, a 3/4 helmet with a shield is a nice compromise. I pull the shield down when I can't take the sting of the bugs anymore. When I get more experience and do highway driving I may want a full face...the thought of a stone hitting my face does make me a bit nervous.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
mrlmd1

3/4 or full face - still better with the shield down rather than have bugs/stones/other debris hit you in the face. It can be pretty painful and distracting, maybe cause a bigger problem, and easy to avoid with the shield.

My opinion - is that OK everyone, alantf, bonehead, and BB especially, or is that too much for you guys to handle? If so, just do what you think is best for yourself, but I can still express my opinion.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
bonehead

Peace brother.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
burkbuilds

Not sure why you said "BB especially" but I'm simply agreeing with alantf whey he said "do your own thing". I'm certainly not against you or anyone else saying what they think, I just really liked alantf's final words and wanted to say that I agree with him.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
BillInGA

I prefer the protection from road debris that a full-face helmet provides. I have taken some major bug hits in the face and was glad to have the protection. I once got hit by a rock in the neck - not pleasant. It made me wonder why motorcycle jackets have such low collars, leaving your neck exposed - but that's another topic.

I do get some fogging when it is cool and humid, but cracking open the visor clears it rather quickly. Some helmets do better than others in preventing fogging.

I know what you mean about feeling claustrophobic in a full-face. When I first started riding I opened the visor at every stop. Now I'm used to it and keep the visor down most of the time.

In the end, the most effective helmet is the one you will actually wear. Use the helmet that gives you the best combination of protection and comfort, where ever you may land on that continuum of trade-offs.
:rawk:

(Edited to correct spelling errors)