Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 05-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: My 2007 GZ and new textile jacket

Good advice Bill, I've been hit with about everything too, and I've always been glad to have had a full face shield on when it happened. You can call me a wimp, but it's no fun getting hit in the face by anything at 70 +mph, and if you ride much you will get hit. I've even got a 20" slipstream windshield, but I still regularly catch bird poop, big bugs, and like you, the occasional gravel on my face shield. I even hit a bird once with the windshield, which kept it from hitting my face shield or me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #22
mrlmd1

Sorry BB, I didn't mean to single out YOU especially, I was referring to all the three posts after mine - that's the fault of the printed word rather than direct voice communication. Those three comments indicated or inferred that my post about THINKING of a full face or a shield and other gear was over the top, and to get criticized for something like that on here is outlandish to say the least. I never said or implied that that was the only way to go, it was a suggestion. And other people actually agree with me as evidenced by the two previous posts to this one. People should read what's written on here before jumping out just to make some kind of ridiculous comment.
An opinion or suggestion is just that and should be respected for what is is, take it or leave, post your own. There is no reason for a rant if you don't agree or don't even actually understand what is said if you can't read it.
And peace to you all, that's what we all want, and to learn from each other and stay safe while we enjoy the ride. You are all free to do what you want, just don't jump off the handle at someone else when it's not appropriate.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

So here's the plan. Everyone wear what you want and are comfy with for the present. If there comes a day when you want more or less gear Just Do It. I tend to collect different gear for various weather but always keep in mind the safety aspect. I have pretty much given up on trying to convert some folks towards safer gear. It is all about the amount of risk an individual is willing to accept in any sport or activity. Some folks don't want to look like a wimp in safety gear or let peer pressure force them to be less safely dressed. It happens.
i really shudder when one of my friends rolls in with next to nothing on for clothing on a warm day but that is their choice. For Lynda and I the cost of riding gear is just another cost of owning and riding a bike.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #24
SuziQ07

Yikes, sorry things got a little heated regarding my choice of riding gear! I hope I didn't stir up the pot! Being such a new rider I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have a feeling my choices in riding gear will change as I gain more experience. I can't believe how many female passengers I see wearing little tiny tank tops and peanut shell helmets...they must really trust their boyfriends/husbands and all the other cars around them! It was very interesting when I went helmet shopping...my local Triumph dealership encouraged me to get a full face helmet and the Harley Davidson dealership steered me in the direction of half helmets. The bottom line is you have to do what is right for you and assume all the risks involved. Thanks again to all of you for your help!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
burkbuilds

mrlmd1, no problem, I guess my comment should have come with a quote about what I was agreeing with on alantf's post. I'll try to be more aware of what I'm doing next time.

WW, I certainly don't cut to many corners when it comes to my riding gear, but as you pointed out, each of us may hold a different aspect as to what we think is important. I've certainly spent a few bucks on gear to keep me warm in the Winter since I ride year round, but I'll have to admit that I don't wear a lot of stuff in hot weather. That's a decision I may regret one of these days if I take a long slide without leather or armor on my body at the time. I'll always have a helmet on, and boots and gloves but I'll probably be in blue jeans and a t-shirt if it's in the 90's or more. For those of you who are worried that my loss of skin may cost you money somehow, I have private health insurance and an additional sum for medical expenses added to my motorcycle insurance. Most of my life I've been self employed and I've usually had to pay for all of my own health insurance, no help from an employer or Uncle Sam. For the last couple of years my wife has worked for a large Nationally known Health Insurance Company, so we've enjoyed better coverage at a much lower cost to us than when I had to pay 100% of my own premiums. Hopefully, I'll never need any of it to cover anything from a motorcycle accident!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Health insurance is a given when you ride. Well........... for most riders anyway. I always ask myself want is your pain tolerance and how well can an old body heal if damaged. Safety stuff is just a passive health insurance until needed.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

SuziQ, don't worry about stirring the pot a bit. We needed a somewhat spirited discussion on ocassion. It just sounds like a blood letting.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
mrlmd1

Blood? Did someone say blood? I haven't seen a good supply of blood since I retired and came to Florida 8 years ago. I knew I missed something in my life. :biggrin:
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #29
Mercutio57

I use a 3/4 in the warmer months, then switch to a full face when it turns colder. Obviously the change here is more about comfort than protection. And I always wear a leather jacket (a simple, unpadded, "old school" Schott NYC). Pretty simple.

As a volunteer firefighter I dutifully wear all of my protective gear when I go into a burning building, but am well aware of the fact that in the worst case scenario this heavy, uncomfortable stuff will be utterly useless. Our trust is not in our gear, but in our training and instincts: you stay alive by getting out before the flashover or the collapse, not by wearing eighty pounds of protective clothing and equipment.

Wear what is legal and comfortable for you, and concentrate on the cages.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio57
I use a 3/4 in the warmer months, then switch to a full face when it turns colder. Obviously the change here is more about comfort than protection. And I always wear a leather jacket (a simple, unpadded, "old school" Schott NYC). Pretty simple.

As a volunteer firefighter I dutifully wear all of my protective gear when I go into a burning building, but am well aware of the fact that in the worst case scenario this heavy, uncomfortable stuff will be utterly useless. Our trust is not in our gear, but in our training and instincts: you stay alive by getting out before the flashover or the collapse, not by wearing eighty pounds of protective clothing and equipment.

Wear what is legal and comfortable for you, and concentrate on the cages.

Well said Mercutio57 about the gear only being as good as your instincts and your training...that certainly applies to riding a motorcycle too.
Schott makes some really nice leather jackets...I tried one at a place in Syracuse, NY called Middle Earth Leather. Of course Schott jackets were double the price of other leather coats I looked at. They're really high quality and made with beautiful leather.