Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
If something is 'going on inside with valves' i dont know. That is why i asked for 'symptoms' so that i can take for adjustment when i am really there.

For the idle, I keep the lowest settings just enough that the bike does not die on idle and runs smooth in idle. For warm up it needs 5 minutes depending on weather but after that runs smooth without burp or jerk.
A couple of comments:
Valves being out of adjustment often do not have any symptoms.
If you don't ride "flat out" a lot, and it's running good, I think you can get by with 2X the recommended miles between valve checks but any more than that would make me nervous.

5 minutes is a LONG time to warm up. If you tweek the idle speed up just a bit, I think you will find you can ride it off after about 1-2 minutes in all but the coldest weather. A slightly higher idle speed also makes for better shifts for many riders.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I agree with Easy. I wouldn't use the bottom of a recommended setting for anything. Set the idle a tad higher and your warm-up time should be decreased.

I've always lived by starting the bike with choke and then riding off as soon as the bike will move.
You need to get it revved up to get the oil moving around the important bits.
simplying allowing the bike to idle during "warm-up" doesn't do that.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I I've always lived by starting the bike with choke and then riding off as soon as the bike will move.
I agree, in the cold I start it full choke, and once it revs up turn the choke halfway down, drive off, turn the choke down to 1/4 and after about half a mile the choke can be closed all the way.

When you're driving, the engine does more work and warms up faster than when it's just sitting there pumping air.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Badbob

I always warm the bike a little. Unless it is already warm.

Start at full choke and them slowly back it off until the idle slows then gear up. By the time I'm ready its ready. If I'm slow getting ready the rpms will go up ans the engine warms up and I back the choke completely off at that point.

Why I do this: A GZ250 only has one cylinder. If you take off in a parking lot with the engine cold there is a slightly increased chance of a miss fire. Miss fire on a single cylinder engine at low rpm equals stall. Stalling in a low speed turn equals falling over quite rapidly. I have personal experience with this.

If I must leave before the engine is warmed I leave the choke on a little for the first mile or so. I hate doing this because I'm prone to forget it until I have to stop for a traffic light.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
cleensmoke666

long warm ups

sometimes in the winter i let it warm up like 10 mins....i know my idler is set a lil low asked guy at a bike dealer ...he said as lon g as not dying at lights you are ok i was always afraid of it being to high ...its my first bike and new when i bought in '07..could the long warm ups cause future probs

Old 03-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
GZ250

as long as the bike is not running to high revs during warm ups its ok. as soon as your bike is warm enough to hold without choke you do not need to continue. long warm ups does not cause any problem other than you waste gas.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If the idle is set too low the oil pressure will not reach the proper level and you'll end up doing damage to the internal parts because they won't be getting lubed. So, yes, you can do damage by not having a high enough idle or allowing the engine to "warm-up" by sitting in the driveway and thumping at low speeds.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Re: long warm ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleensmoke666
sometimes in the winter i let it warm up like 10 mins....i know my idler is set a lil low asked guy at a bike dealer ...he said as lon g as not dying at lights you are ok i was always afraid of it being to high ...its my first bike and new when i bought in '07..could the long warm ups cause future probs
Hmmmmm......if you know it is low, why not just tweek it up a bit?? That's what that big knob is there for !! :roll:

Really, if the idle is set right, it will ride and shift better.

LONG warm ups are not necessary. Wastes gas and accomplishes nothing useful. Even when it is VERY cold, I can't see needing more that 5 minutes and probably less. (How cold is it when you ride in the winter?)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Lynda took her GZ in today for a valve check/adjustment. With 5000 KMs(approx 3000 mi) the valves were good and did not need adjusting. I don't know if this is common but it is nice to know nothing is wearing out prematurely.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
GZ250

After 15000 miles on 2005 GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
With 5000 KMs(approx 3000 mi) the valves were good and did not need adjusting. I don't know if this is common but it is nice to know nothing is wearing out prematurely.
My 05 GZ250 runs great and all ok so far. Just last week I took it to the dealership and the guy told me I don't need valve adjustment as the sound looks good, only when i hear click click i should come back. He told me the valve adjustment would cost around +/- $120.

Only thing that I need to check regularly is 'Oil' and 'Chain tension'. The engine oil level goes down so I add after every 800-1000 miles. Chain gets loose and I take it to the same guy at the dealership and he adjusts it. I still have the original chain and he told me I can still go with this.