Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Meanguy

Windshield

My wife wants a windshield for her bike she said her neck is tired after she rides. I searched the old post, but what kind of windshield would you recomend? She is about 5'6". I was told that I did not need to buy a very big on because wind blast from a tractor trailer might blow the bike off the road, I have heard that wind can push smaller bikes across from one side of the lane to the other. I would to get get her one that is big enough to do the job but not too big. Thanks for your help, Charles

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanguy
My wife wants a windshield for her bike she said her neck is tired after she rides. I searched the old post, but what kind of windshield would you recomend? She is about 5'6".
Yep me too! I have a shield but it turns out to be too small. It's just large enough to defelect the wind up to the top of my helmet.......and seemed to work fine until I upgraded to a better helmet. Now I find that at speeds above 40 or so, I get a rumbling sound in the helmet that becomes MOST annoying about 55.....where I like to cruise.

So, off to get a new shield. I'm presently considering a Memphis Shades Santa Cruz. Would like to get it changed before next weekend for my 70 mile ride over to the Springfield Mile. I'm thinking that mounting might be somewhat tricky because of the relationship of the light and speedo. I'll keep you posted.

Bad Bob has a "large" shield, even a bit bigger than the 29W X 21H that I am looking at, I think. He could tell you more about that "blown sideways" rumor but I think it is just that, an urban legand. I've had slightly bigger bikes with large shields and never had a problem. The first couple of encounters with a big truck WILL make you flinch though.

PS I may have a small shield for sale REAL cheap next week!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Meanguy

To the Mod. I put this thread in the wrong place please feel free to move it, Thanks

I may get her a full size windshield, she wants one bad. I just got my bike yesterday and put a little over a 100 miles today and yesterday and the wind did not bother me.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Badbob

Take a look at National Cycle.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycl ... del=su-055

I'm sure the make a size you will like.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanguy
I may get her a full size windshield, she wants one bad.
I just replaced a small shield with one of these yesterday:

http://www.memphisshades.com/santa_cruz.shtml

I'll try to post some pics. later today.

I like it fine but, alas, it's still not perfect for me.
It works great, with no helmet.
The top of the shield is somewhere near nose level.
That position deflects the wind to about my hairline.....above 30 mph or so.
I thought I had it made........until I tried it with my new helmet.
Rats, same problem as before.
The wind rushing over the top of the helmet creates a rumbling sound that I find MOST annoying.

Planning to go to the Springfield Mile tomorrow.....if the weather holds out. 70 miles each way. That should be enough of a test to decide if I need to screw with it any more or not.

I think raising the whole thing up about 2 inches would solve the problem but just getting it mounted was a bear and I don't think there is any practical way to get it up any more. Virtually no room to change the angle either. SIGH! :sad:

PS Only a fool tries to mount a windshield by himself....(raises hand)! You really need another set of hands just to hold things in place while you tighten the bolts.

PPS My problem might be more helmet than shield. I would definitely recommend the Santa Cruz to anybody UNDER 5'6" because the wind should miss the helmet completely.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I just replaced a small shield with one of these yesterday:

http://www.memphisshades.com/santa_cruz.shtml

I'll try to post some pics. later today.
After an extended test ride, I figured out that the roaring sound is because of the full-face helmet and not the windshield.
Fortunately there is an easy fix for the helmet.

So..........I just love the new shield.
Now off to find an appropriate section to post the pictures......mods section ??
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
turbo chicken

after today i'm looking for a wind shield and raingear .... good thing my mesh jacket came with a waterproof shell i used my lower body got soaked...

haven't decided if i want a big wind shield yet though.... it gets mighty hot in the summer here and some wind is ok... perhaps i'll get that slipstream spitfire fir summer and something morebig for winter...

good luck on your search for the windshield...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo chicken
haven't decided if i want a big wind shield yet though.... it gets mighty hot in the summer here and some wind is ok... ..
I don't think you can get a shield big enough to prevent you from getting a decent amount of air. Previous experience tells me that you will still get lots of air from below.

There could be a problem if stuck in slow moving traffic or if dressed too heavily to start with. Bikes and riders with full farings seem to get by OK in the heat; a windshield is nothing compared to that.