Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
El Diablo

Gas Milleage and Gas Grade

Two newbie questions:

What type miles per gallon are ya'll getting on your GZs when city driving only? Salesman said should get around 70? I'm still on my first tank. Since there is no gas gauge, guy at shop told me to set tripometor and drive until I run out of gas. note the miles, go to gas station on reserve and reset trip to around when to get gas next time. I've gone 160 miles so far. By my calcs, should have another 22 miles or so. (3.4 capacity less 0.8 reserve = 2.6 X 70 = 182 miles).

Salesman said only run premium gas in it. I read somewhere, maybe this forum, that was hogwash. Manual just says minimum of 87 octane. What's the consensus among GZ riders?

Thanks all.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
El Diablo

Follow up question. Manual and Specs state the fuel tank capacity to by 13.0 L (3.4/2.9 US/IMP gal). On the printable brochure off Suzuki website it list these specs but under "Chassis Features" is has *Large 3.7 gallon fuel tank. Which is it. Is it 3.7 but you can only fill it up to 3.4??

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Gas Milleage and Gas Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
What type miles per gallon are ya'll getting on your GZs when city driving only?

Salesman said only run premium gas in it. I read somewhere, maybe this forum, that was hogwash. Manual just says minimum of 87 octane. What's the consensus among GZ riders?
I get about 67 in mixed riding.

You got 2 bad pieces of advice from your salesdummy.

1) No reason to run it empty to check your mileage. Run it to something between 120 and 180 and do the simple math.
For a more accurate number, keep track of the miles and gallons over several fillups.

2) No reason for premium. No reason not to either......except for price. Experiment a bit if you like. Lots of us have and most (but not all) went back to 87.

Welcome to our humble "little" conference.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Follow up question. [....] Is it 3.7 but you can only fill it up to 3.4??
Yes, you'e only supposed to fill it up to the bottom edge of the filler "pipe" (where the cap goes in). The missing 0.3 gallons must be the leftover air space.

I get 71-74 mpg (last 3 fills) but I only have 10 miles city and 15 miles backroads for my commute.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
bigwonton

No need for premium gas. You'll just be throwing money away. I pretty much ride around in city/suburban traffic (nothing above 45 MPH) and get 62-65 MPG.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Sarris

Mileage

I use my GZ for around town runs, errands etc. No trips longer than about 50 or 60 miles, generally 55 mph or less. I don't rev the crap out of it, but I do keep up wth traffic. My mpg was only 55 to 60 mpg for the first 3k miles, but got better as she broke in. Now (with 12k+ miles), I consistantly get 70 to 72 mpg.

I use the manual recommended 87 octane and nothing more.

:chop:
Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I've kept track of gas mileage and fuel price for all of my vehicles for the last year a half. I've never put premium octane in the GZ because there is no need for it.
Between 90% fill ups on 87 and 10% on 89, I average between 64-70 miles per gallon. Highest being 74, lowest 61. Both high marks have come in warm weather. Low marks in winter. The 61 mark came from using 10% ethanol fuel.